Depression During Pregnancy-pg110174471845

4 Replies
Nicole - November 29

I am almost 35 yrs old & 7 weeks pregnant (first time). My husband & I tried to conceive for 10 months & finally after being on fertility drugs (Follistim) we got pregnant the first month with IUI. My doctor has had me on Progesterone (100mg twice a day) since the IUI was done. I know I'm supposed to be overwhelmed with happiness, but I have been crying everyday, very short fused, & very easy to push over the edge. I feel very depressed & don't know if this is normal. Has this ever happened to anyone? Why am I not extremely happy?

Jana - November 29

Because you are on megadoses of hormones! Believe it or not, this is normal. If your depression is interfering with your normal day-to-day functioning, you need to talk with your doctor. An anti-depressant might help, and some of them are category B - pretty darn safe to take...

Claire - November 29

Don't you worry, you're 100% normal. What I'd suggest is not anti-depressants but go speak to a counselor, or even better get involved in helping others who've been trying to conveive and couldn't it will distract you and you're doing something good at the same time. Good Luck to you

Debra - November 29

I would definately tell your doctor about your episodes of depression. Taking progesterone could be the likely culprit. Your dr. could determine if the possible benefits of taking it are worth the risks you might be suffering.

E - November 29

Nicole, It is normal to feel sad, weepy, and unhappy during this crazy time. Your hormones are out of wack and the first trimester is the most difficult, in my opinon. Jana was right about talking with your doctor if you are unable to accomplish your usual day to day tasks. Depression is sometimes harmful to a growing embryo. Best wishes:)

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?