Krissy2006 Only You Can Probably Help Me

6 Replies
Sims1 - October 23

I've posted this question before but noone is replying and i'm freaking out hoping someone has some insight. I'm in my 10th week, and when i first got pg, my dr put me on 200 mg of prometrium twice a day, to be taken orally not va___ally. and then a couple weeks into the pg a nurse called me and said to up my dosage by another 200mg for a total of 600mg. i usually research every drug i'm on, but this is the only one i didn't becuase i thought it was natural and shouldn't really cause any problems. I just read that it can cause birth defects, is this true? do you know anything about progesterone supplements? i know a lot of women are prescribed this stuff to help sustain a pg, but i'm worried that my dose was too high....

krissy2006 - October 23

Hey sims1, I can't give any deep insite into prometrium but I do know that many many many women who have a progesterone deficiency are perscribed that. I would call your doctor if you are worried and ask specifically what the risks to the pregnancy are by taking such a high dosage. (if in fact is is considered a high dosage) I will go ahead and do some research for you but I think if your doctor perscribed it for you than he is taking precautions to help you sustain that bean. LOL I will be back if I find anything one way or the other. BTW and FYI - STOP READING ABOUT THIS STUFF ON THE INTERNET. While TTC it is okay to stress and obsess and research everything but once you are preggo you need to relax. I would go by what your doctor says (because he is the one who went through years of medical school to be the OBGYN that he is) and trust him. If you don't trust him, you need a new doc. But let me go research and see if I can't find anything to rea__sure you. Relax...breathe..... and concentrate on that little life you are growing and how much you love him/her already. ;) how far are you anyway?

krissy2006 - October 23

here is one thing I found: Answer: This question has been forwarded by Pregnancy: Both Prometrium and Metformin are safe to take during pregnancy. The dose of prometrium is reasonable. When metformin is given, it is usually continued through 12 weeks of pregnancy. If the pregnancy is abnormal, the prometrium could potentially prolong the pregnancy, but ultimately, the outcome would not change.

krissy2006 - October 23

I also read that prometrium's makeup is identical to that of human progesterone which is necessary to sustain a pregnancy so I am thinking that you are fine. However at 600mg I would still call my doctor because the most I can find anyone taking is 400mg which isnt a huge difference but for my own peace of mind "I" would call....

Sims1 - October 23

cool you are the absolute best. I will definately call and find out. i'm supposed to stop the prog and met by next week. i'm am currently 9 weeks and 2 days. but i like saying in my 10th week. makes me feel like i'm closer to the first trimester finish line. So how are you??? how are you feeling?? I'm very excited for you, I can't believe over a year later here we are speaking in first trimester. sheesh took us long enough.....

krissy2006 - October 23

lol, I know. It is so exciting but mine is just a bit tainted by the m/c in August but I am trying not to let it affect me much. I can't believe you are already in your "10th" week and yes I totally agree that its so much more fun to say I am in my "yada yada" week instead of like the week before and so many days. It makes you feel better and further along. I am feeling fine. Acid reflux like the devil and bouts of narcolepsy (or at least thats what it feels like) but other than that everything is good. I have another beta on sat or mon and then first u/s on the 1st or 2nd. Im excited but oh so very nervous! How are you and how are you feeling? Are you gonna find out the gender or is it gonna be a surprise?!?

Sims1 - October 23

oh my goodness, let me tell you i was lucky with the nausea, but i got plagued with sleepiness. I think it's all the progesterone, but i was running out to my car at lunch time for a nap and this just started in oct. good thing it's tappering off now, but i am still so darned sleepy all the time. I can only imagine how you feel. on one hand i know how nervous i was when i first found out. it just took us so long to get pg, that when it was finally happening i still couldn't believe it and was so nervous about miscarrying. i still am. so i understand and all i cna say is hang in there and breath. sometimes the fear is overwhelming and i had to sit and breath. I'm definately finding out the gender. we just bought a house and it'll be ready in May same time the baby is due, and i want to decorate the room boy or girl....i don't care which, i'm just happy to be having a child. let me knwo what our beta levels are like. the good thing is your dr will be all over you this time monitoring becuase you have a precious pregnancy....isn't it wonderful they call it that...

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?