Prenatal Vitamins-pg113692490818

4 Replies
carol23 - January 10

This might be a stupid question, but this is my first pregnancy and I would like to know what exactly prenatal vitamins do to my body. I haven't had my first dr . appt. yet so i have no clue. I'm 5 1/2 weeks. I went into the clinic the day after i got my bfp and they got to me later that day to confirm. They then prescribed my prenatal vitamins and I picked them up the next day and have been taking them ever since. Will they somehow also help to reduce my chances of miscarrying?

Kira - January 10

Prenatal vitamins give u all the vitamins your new baby body needs. Like folic acid which if you dont have your baby can have spinal problems. A lot of benefits to taking them.

carol23 - January 10

sounds good to me. What about the miscarriage thing?

me - January 10

Vitamins can help prevent certain neural tube defects, like spina bifida, but nothing can prevent a miscarriage if the baby is not developing normally. There can be many reasons for a miscarriage. If there is a chromosomal thing going on, you cannot prevent the miscarriage because the baby is not growing correctly. If it is chromosomal, no amount of vitamins or progesterone or supplements will help save the pregnancy. Vits have their place in development, but they will not necessarily help reduce a miscarriage. Hope that helps! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Deb - January 10

I agree. If there was a way to prevent or reduce miscarriage, then everyone would be doing it. No one wants to have one, but if it was a bad egg or a chromasonal problem, there is nothing you can do. Folic acid is the most important think to take in the first trimester because it prevents neural tube defects. Prenatals contain a sufficient amount of folic acid, so keep taking them!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion