Prenatel Vitamins-pg110321967567

3 Replies
cathy - December 16

I have not been to the doctor yet. I got next week. Should I already be taking prenatel vitamins or will the doctor prescribe them to me? I heard I should take folic acid, and recently purchased some. But I am afraid to take it without a doctors order. I am prone to panic attacks, and don't want to give myself one by taking medicine that a doctor didn't tell me to. Also, will they give me an u/s during my first visit? I am really anxious to find out how far along I am. I am so scared that I am going to gain tons of weight with this (my first). I just lost 52# recently and don't want to have to start all over again. Any advice?

Anon - December 16

You probably will not have an ultrasound on your frist visit. However, There are prenatal vitamins that you can buy over the counter, But since you have a Dr's appt next week, I dont think it will hurt you to wait until he/she prescribes them for you. As far as folic acid goes, my Dr. didnt prescribe them for me, But on my first pregnancy he did. so, don't panic. You baby will be fine for one more week. =)

N - December 16

I would call your doctor and find out if you should be taking folic acid. Not enought folic acid in the pregnant womens diet (especially in the 1st trimester) can cause significant long term problems for the baby (for example spinal bifida). Many doctors say anyone trying to conceive should be on it, others say any women of child bearing age should be taking it. If your doctor didn't precribe it (Anon) I would call and ask too, maybe he/she thought you were on it, sometimes they forget to ask, especially with second pregnancies. Don't panic, just call and check.

N - December 16

PS. Good job with the weight loss! I lost 40 lbs finally! 2 years after my last pregnancy. I'm going to have to watch what I eat a little more closely this pregnancy too! Remember, all the lit, I found says 300 more cals..thats all the baby needs...So, why are we hungery for more!!!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?