Taking 2000mg Metformin During Pregnancy

3 Replies
Jill - May 2

I was wondering if anyone else out there is pregnant and taking metformin? I was told to stay on the medication through entire pregnancy because my first pregnancy was pre-term at 29 weeks because I was taken off of the Metformin and my body started rejecting the baby which caused him to come early. This was 5 years ago my son is fine and healthy now. Just afraid that the Metformin could harm baby but don't want to have another premature birth. Hope someone has experienced something similar.

christine - May 5

hi, im on 500mg diaformin a day my dr swapped me to Aldomet.

Jill - May 5

Christine, How far along are you? And are they keeping you on this med through your whole pregnancy? Thanks for the info.

Nik - May 5

Hi! I am on 1000 mg Metformin. It was prescribed to me before I got pregnant because I had trouble conceiving. I have PCO syndrome and was a gestational diabetic during my 1st pregnancy. I am now almost 10wks pregnant and my doctor wants me on this med until 12wks then to stop. I am not sure why I am to stop but she wanted me to stay on the med until then to prevent a miscarriage, since I had one in Feb. I have read on the net that this drug has not been proven to harm the baby even if taken the entire pregnancy. Good luck to you!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?