When To Tell The Boss-pg111766187718

2 Replies
worker - June 1

I have my 1st dr. apt. 06/10. I should be 8 wks then. Any advice on when to tell my boss? I work ft at a sole pract. law office and pt at another job. Should I tell him right away or wait til the end of the first tri? So far no obvious showing or sickness. It's just he and I so he'll have to get a temp/replacement for me. I've been hoarding my vacation days (no paid maternity leave), but I don't know that he's figured out why. I haven't had a vacation day in 18 months, so I have 3 weeks saved up so far. Should be 4 weeks by the time I'm due, provided I don't have to use any of them. Also, how long are any of you planning on taking off work? 4 wks, 6 wks ? Wondering what's considered the norm.

Jo - June 6

I know you are commited to your job, but dont rush back to soon, put you long awaited baby first, i went back at 8 weeks and it wasnt long before i was off with depression due to overwork. if you have a child thats up all night, then working all day its hard to cope. also each to there own but why have a baby, then work lots, you would miss so much, they grow so quickly, my son has just turned 1.

Jbear - June 6

When I had my daughter, the doctors wouldn't sign a release saying I could go back to work until 6 weeks after I had my baby. I ended up staying home until she was 6 months old, because I had postpartum depression and some physical problems. If I were you, I'd hold off on telling my employer about the pregnancy until it became obvious. It's been my experience that even nice and reasonable employers can become unreasonable once they find out you're pregnant.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion