Beware Of Swiffer Wetjet

13 Replies
Sol - October 4

I recently had a neighbor who had their 5-year old German shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago. They had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients. (Actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). T herefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible.

 

CEM - October 4

that's terrible! poor dog, and two cats...yet another reason to use organic biodegradable cleaning products.

 

x - October 4

that is FALSE! that is OLD! It's an 'urban legend' type thing.

 

CM - October 4

Sol, don't state a made up scare as if it's your personal experience. It's not true.

 

pbj - October 4

I received a chain email about this the other day. I checked the bottle on my wetjet and there is no such statement. First of all, most cleaners left on the floor wet are harmful to humans and animals. What person allows there child or animal to walk on the wet floor in the first place? It's a cleaner...of course it's harmful, if you clean with bleach, ammonia, lysol whatever it would have the same effect if ingested.

 

CM - October 4

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

 

cl - October 4

Go to www.snopes.com; that is a website that proves true or false all of these "urban legends", emails and warnings. Its actually pretty funny when you read all of the things that have been proven false. I received this email sometime ago and a__sumed it was true.

 

cl - October 4

LOL CM..do we share a brain? We posted the same thing at the same time!

 

CM - October 4

That's funny!

 

pbj - October 4

Thanks CM & CL, I'm going to be sure to send that website to the idiot relative who emailed that to our entire family and of course freaked everyone out.

 

Dustie - October 4

The following website lists many Urban Legends & this is one of them... http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

 

Sol - October 4

Thanks guys - relieved it is a legend :) and oh - I just copied and pasted - never intended to pretend it was a personal story !!

 

CM - October 4

Ok, I'm sorry. I just didn't want anyone to think it was a personal experience and get worried. Personal experience always makes it more scary.

 

TruckinFool - October 5

All i've got to say is.......water can be deadly too

 

ADD A COMMENT:


You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!


Already a member?
Please login below.





Forgot your password?
Need Help?