Folic Acid-pg115073046218

12 Replies
Pandra - June 19

Hello, I'm not pregnant yet, but my husband and I are planning on trying the next time I am ovulating. I have been reading information about Folic Acid and how you should take it before pregnancy in addition to during the first few months of your pregnancy. Does anyone know how long "before" you get pregnant you should take Folic Acid? You know....do I start taking it tomorrow, will that have been long enough before pregnancy if I by chance would get pregnant in the next month or so? Or, should I be taking it for a few months before we even try to get pregnant?

Jennifer28 - June 19

My dr. told me to start taking it as soon as I told him I was ttc after a m/c. I began taking it in January and found out I was pg in March. The sooner the better! :) Also, you should have your husband take it as well - just until you conceive. Good luck!!

Jade - June 19

I have been told to take it about 3 months before getting pregnant.

Pandra - June 19

Jennifer28, thanks for the advice! So, do you think I should take a multivitamin or just folic acid. I ready that I should take 400 micrograms/day. Same goes for my husband.....should he take a multi-vitamin or just folic acid and would he take the 400 micrograms per day too ya think?

Pandra - June 19

Jade, thanks for you reply also! Any/all advice appreciated! :-)

Jennifer28 - June 19

My dr. told me to take 400 mg of JUST folic acid every day. If you take a multivitamin, you might overload yourself on some unnecessary vitamins. Unless you wanted to begin taking prenatals now! Call your dr. and see if you can get a prescription. Most of the time, if you tell them you are trying to conceive he/she will write you a script, no problem. I continued to take them even after I miscarried in December b/c I knew we were going to try to conceive again right away. As for your husband - my husband took the same 400 mg tablet I took every day - until we got our positive pregnancy test! :) I bought mine from the grocery store - or you should be able to find them at prescription shoppes as well. Most of the time, they are sold as 400 mg tablets which is just what you need. Good luck, Pandra!!

Pandra - June 19

Thanks Jennifer, and good luck with your pregnancy. Hope all goes well and healthily.

lynnstress - June 19

Before I got preg, I was taking 400 mcg folic acid plus a One-A-Day for women (multivitamin) every day. My dr's office said that was just fine.

lynnstress - June 19

And 400 mcg - MICROGRAMS, not mg milligrams - is the proper dosage.

Jennifer28 - June 19

Sorry - I kept saying mg. Just trying to trype quickly. But, you knew already knew it was a microgram, so no harm no foul. :) I would talk to your dr. about the multivitimin b4 taking one. My dr. said not to take just anything b/c it might contain too much Vitamin A. Good luck to you, too Pandra! Lots of sticky baby dust!!

Pandra - June 19

What is sticky baby dust? :-) Also, do you know, is there a place on this sight that tells what abbreviations mean? I'm getting some of them, but some are stumping me?

Jennifer28 - June 19

When women are ttc (trying to conceive) other girls will "wish" for them or "send" them 'sticky baby dust'. I used to say 'baby dust' but after I m/c (miscarried) I now say STICKY baby dust. Just a fun little way to wish you luck while ttc. :) There is a site that tells all about abv but I can't think of it off the top of my head. dh = dear husband, ds=dear son, dp=dear partner, bf=boyfriend or best friend, dpo=days past ovulation... if you post a question about abbrev. someone will respond and tell you the site's name.

mindymay - June 19

just take prenatals. preferably about 6 months prior to conceiving. but many women dont take anything until they find out and have normal babies. so the sooner the better. shoot, i just take them everyday, pregnant or not

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?