Folic Acid-pg119391294977

3 Replies
Jocelyn80 - November 1

I'm taking prenatal plus w/ 27mg Iron. My doctor prescribed it to me about 2 weeks ago. I just found out I'm pregnant yesterday. Before I was pregnant I was taking 400mcg of Folic acid (before my doctor prescribed me this prenatal vitamin. However, in the prenatal vitamin it says it has 1mg of folic acid. My question is how much is required before/during pregnancy? And is 1mg more then 400mcg. I'm confused by those numbers. Is 1mg enough folic acid?

Grandpa Viv - November 1

I milligram (mg) is the same as 1,000 micrograms (mcg). 400mcg is considerd enoug, though some docs may want you to take 800 mcg. If your family has a history of neural tube defects, then the higher dose is a good idea. Don't forget that your diet contins (by lawin the USA) enough folate without taking any pills. Read the labels on your bread and cereal. Good luck!

ShoppingForTwo - November 1

I'd reccomend that you take the full 800mg or mcg whatever it is. 800 though, that's the key. My doctor will stand for nothing less. He perfers his patients to take them 3 full months before ttc and throughout the entire pregnancy. So many things can happen with pregnancies that we CAN'T control so why don't prevent the stuff we can, ya know? Its not 100% but it decreases the odd drastically. I've been on prenatals with 800 for almost a year now, I'm 5w1d. Good luck!

Jocelyn80 - November 3

Thanks all!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion