Gestational Diabetes-pg111255970418

4 Replies
lidia - April 3

I just found out that I have gestational diabetes I am freaking out because my doctor said that I am going to have to start taking shots and I am scared for my baby has anybody ever had this please give me some input and how high was you blood count?

L - April 3

My mom had it when she was pregnant with my sister. She didnt have to take shots, she just had to monitor what she ate. The baby was healthy but big. This was back in the late 80's though.

JLorenzo - April 4

Lidia, Please try not to worry about it. My wife has it and all she has to do is watch her sugar intake. It gets progressively worse over the course of the pregnancy, but it really is manageable with proper diet and exercise. Actually, they monitor you more closely with GD. Let me know if you want to talk about it though. I did alot of reading up on the topic. The main point you want to focus on is the fasting levels. As long as that stays around 90, you should be okay. And even if it doesn't, you go on insulin. But very rarely is there a problem with mother and baby...try to relax.

BBK - April 4

lidia, gestational diabetes, if treated does not pose a significant risk to the baby. The absolute worst case scenario I can imagine for you (though unlikely since you're getting treated) is a c-section, which is routine these days. Follow your docs instructions and everything should work out just fine. Congratulations and good luck!

kenya mama - April 14

I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy. It is a little intimidating, but I was able to control mine with diet and moderate exercise. I had to test my blood sugar levels 4 times a day, which was difficult to remember sometimes, but I was very motivated to be good when they told me the risk of not following the food guidelines was a BIG baby and hard delivery. My labor was fine, my son was born 7lb, and I'm expecting again. Hope I don't get it this time, but if I do, so be it. You may be fine without the shots. Do some research so you feel better about it. Congrats and best of luck to you!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?