Hcg Level 3156 At 6 Weeks

16 Replies
newlywed - March 12

Two weeks ago I took three pregnancy test all of which came back positive. I then went to the doctor for the urine test there and it came back positive. They sent me in for a sonogram to see how far along I was. If going by my last af I would have been 5 weeks. Nothing ended up showing in the sono and he said it was because it was too early to tell. The nurse at my Dr office then called me to tell me it was a negative sonogram. I went in yesterday for a blood test to verify and it came back that my hcg levels were 3156 and I should only be 6 weeks. The nurse that called me today seemed very concerned about this and said I needed to get to a gyno asap. But when I look on pregnancy websites that hcg level doesn't seem that abnormal. Im very confused. Any advice or info would be much appreciated???!

Imhealed - March 12

Good luck with getting anything from ladies in these forums. I wish they would create another one...where they answer your questions. I pray that all is ok with you and I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. Sorry

Jezebel - March 12

im sorry this is happening to you newlywed, i hope everything is ok...unfortunately i cant offer advice as i have never been pregnant but you have my support. imhealed how about you create or hire someone to create a website where people are paid to answer questions such as this knowledgably instead of one that relies on other womens experiences and availablity to respond if you are that concerned...nice solution.

newlywed - March 12

I did find in some places that it could mean molar pregnancy or twins. Or it could just be your body type. I am very small, under 100 lbs, so I dont know if that might be playing a role in way the nurse is concerned. Is it also normal for them not to see anything at 5 weeks in a sonogram? thanks for any input!!!

schar - March 12

it is normal not to see anything until 7-8 weeks your hcg levels can be high in a single pregnancy though you are only five weeks I would not stress wait another 2 weeks I doubt it is a molar pregnancy usually that is a m/c with left behind tissue that continues to grow rapidly . You can test that theory get your hcg checked the 72hrs do it again if it more than triples then it is a good possibility if it only doubles and a bit more your fine it is 72 your cause how far along you are 48 hrs is how long it takes for levels under 3000 to double. I am a respiratory therapist but I work with babies a lot and see many ultrasounds and we have had people that you can't see anything on till 8 weeks 2 days do not let them think you had an mc or take any pills till you are 9 weeks trust me and get a second opinion some ulrasound machines are much stronger than others! good luck i'm sure you liitle one is fine!

Jezebel - March 12

its definitely normal for them to not see anything at 5 weeks! im little like you too, im 5'3" 98 lbs and i worry sometimes that that is why i cant get pregnant, although it is normal for me, its not like i have lost or gained anything, im just skinny :/

newlywed - March 12

Thanks for all ya'll advise, it is much appreciated. I was only worried because the nurse seemed just so concerned that nothing showed in the sonogram, even though I told them that the DR that did it asked me why I was even there if I was only 5 weeks. And now with them acting so concerned about having such high hcg levels. I think I will just go to a different DR and get a second opinion. Thanks again!!!

beebee4mee - March 12

I agree with the ladies, it's completely normal to not see anything that early. Really good u/s machines are supposedly supposed to pick up things at 1,000 hcg, according to my perinatologist but evidently that still isn't always the case. The reason I know this, is because I had a very similar experience to yours. At 5 wks, my hcg was 3,705, and two days later at 5.2 wks it was 7,800. However, at the ER at 5 wks (went in for cramps, where they took the blood for the first hcg) they couldn't confirm pregnancy, and at my high-risk dr's office three days later with a very good u/s machine they could see it. As long as it goes up, I wouldn't worry, OK. :o) And it will show up eventually.

beebee4mee - March 12

I agree with the ladies, it's completely normal to not see anything that early. Really good u/s machines can supposedly pick up things at 1,000 hcg, according to my perinatologist but evidently that still isn't always the case. The reason I know this, is because I had a very similar experience to yours. At 5 wks, my hcg was 3,705, and two days later at 5.2 wks it was 7,800. However, at the ER at 5 wks (went in for cramps, where they took the blood for the first hcg) they couldn't confirm pregnancy, and at my high-risk dr's office three days later with a very good u/s machine they could see it but vaguely and they were worried for the same reason. According to my hcg levels, they should have seen more. As long as it goes up, doubling or close to doubling as Schar says, I wouldn't worry, OK. :o) And it will show up eventually, mine was clear only a week later. Oh, and as far as the nurse being worried the levels are too high, it is possible, worst case scenario, that they think due to the tech not seeing anything that it could be ectopic. I'm sure they just want to double check to be safe. As far as molar, I don't think your hcg is high enough (but I'm not an expert), and mine were a decent amount higher than yours a week earlier and I did have twin gestational sacs (so I wouldn't say twins, but I wouldn't rule out something like that too). :o) Now that I've been completely confusing.... I'll finish up. Check back in and let us know how it goes!

beebee4mee - March 12

Oops, double posted. I was having pc problems. SORRY! The second one is the complete one that I meant to post.

newlywed - March 12

I did call my nurse back to have them set up the appointment with a different OB. I asked her the reason for their concern and she said it was because it is above their level of expertise at this time so they have to pa__s me on to someone who would know more about those levels. Thanks again!!!

newlywed - March 12

Also, this is my first pregnancy and I don't really know if twins run in my family or not. I was adopted at 5, so I only know some of my family. I know its rare unless taking things to help inhance the chances which I have not done.

Imhealed - March 13

The remark I made was not directed to you "Jezebel" I was talking to newlywed. I'm not suppose to go and create anything when it's already been created. All I said was good luck with getting answers from these ladies...that's all I said. I'm not in forums to fuss and argue over comments that I make...I'm a grown woman looking for answers like the next woman! Now my statement, I won't take back, so deal with it. All you needed to do was answer the womans question and leave me out of it. I am int_tled to my opinion, as you are yours. So please it it be....

Jezebel - March 13

what i said...had you read it carefully was....create a site where people are PAID to sit and just answer questions if prompt answers to random questions is what youre looking for...perhaps a site like that has been created, but this is not it....as you well know based on your comment 'i wish they would create anothe one where they answer your questions'. be proactive then, create one. as for your comment, why would i want you to take it back...what are we, 12?

Imhealed - March 13

Exactly! We are not twelve year olds. I do apologize for “misreading” your post. Please accept my apology. I thought (that what I get for thinking) you were trying to be funny. Again, please forgive me.

newlywed - March 14

Well, I went to a different Dr today and we were able to see the yolk sac. She said that judging by the measurments of it I would actually only be 5 weeks 1 day (give a day or two) She said that she could not exactly pinpoint the baby just yet but I go in for another sonogram next Friday and she said we should be able to see and hear the heartbeat and that will help determine exactly how far along I am. They said that since everything with the yolk sac producing at the right amount of time she was not as concerned about my high hcg levels. She said that next week when we are able to see that baby we'll probably do a blood test just to make sure my levels are rising correctly. Thank again for all your input and advise.

Jezebel - March 14

YAY! so exciting newlywed!!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?