Pap Smear And Pregnancy-pg113146195418

6 Replies
Sasky - November 8

Is it possible to have a pap smear while pregnant? If so, would it detect pregnancy?

Cathy - November 8

A pap smear is one of the first tests they do on your first ob visit. The are perfectly safe. As for detecting pregnancy, before you get one, tell your doctor that you think you may be pg. That way they can run a pg test, and know what they are dealing with during the pap. Good luck.

Tess - November 8

Cathy is right.....Pap-smear is part of your 1st OB appt once you found out your PG. Not sure if they can detect whether your PG or not though.

Bonnie - November 8

Yep, you'll get a few of these exams when pregnant. And yes it can detect pregnancy, although they do the urine test for acuracy. When you are pregnant, your cervix becomes soft and turns a blueish color so they can tell, but it's not 100%.

Sasky - November 8

Thanks for your reply. I had a preg test done at the drs and it was negative, so he did a pap to make sure everything is normal. I stopped bcp in April and I've only had 2 periods. Everything came back normal. However, after reading some posts at his site, I don't really trust hpts. So I was just curious if the results of the pap would show something.

Erica - November 8

I had a pap smear about 1 week before I found out I was pregnant. The test never came back saying that I was.

Bonnie - November 8

Just to clarify, they don't actually test for pregancy by a pap smear. It is just the look and feel of your cervix that gives it away. If you are barely pregnant the doctor may not even notice. It's not a specific test like the urine or blood test were you get a positive or negative.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?