Question-pg110739313218

3 Replies
Stephanie - February 2

Hi, I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I've got a kind of ew question lol. I've heard that cat feces carries toxins and can be quite harmful to unborn babies. The thing is, my friends cat had dirrahea (sp?) just the other day, and as she was on holiday I was going round to sort him out. At one point, he'd made a complete mess of the room, and I cleared it up. So basically I just want to know, should I be concerned about the baby because of the risks it carries? Is it really that harmful or classed as one mainly for precaution?

Jenn - February 2

It this is an indoor kitty only and if you have ever had a kitty before, you may not need to be concerned. However, it is always best to get your doctors opinion.

KM - February 2

Jenn's right, it's unlikely with an indoor cat. But still there is a risk, which is why doctor's advise you not to clean the kitty litter etc.Also, once you get toxoplasmosis once you usually develop an immunity to the disease.You would never know if u had gotten it or not because it is just like a common cold.So if you have cats of your own, then chances are you are immune anyway

Stephanie - February 2

He's actually an outdoor cat, but because he'd been unwell my friend was advised to keep him inside for a week or so. I've never owned a cat of my own, so I shouldn't imagine I'd be immune to anything they may carry. I think I'll take your advice and make an appointment with the doctor, just to be on the safe side. Thanks to you both your replies.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?