Sleeping On Your Back-pg112007398618

14 Replies
monica - June 29

I am 35 weeks. Does anyone know if it is ok to sleep on your back with 3 or 4 pillows prop behind my head?

BBK - June 29

Monica, my wife has been sleeping on the couch for a few weeks now, and it's not because she's mad at me. She sleeps on an incline like you describe with 3 big pillows because it's the only way she can get comfortable, she uses the back of the couch to support her back..... so she kinda sleeps in a 45 degree angle sitting up.... if that makes sense. It's the only thing that doesn't make her acid reflux worse. She can't do this in bed because she slides down eventually. At this stage, anything that works is fine, and I confirmed it with her doctor.

NO - June 29

Do not sleep on your back! Hold on....I'll cut & paste the reason.

to BBK - June 29

how far along are you and your wife?

Here - June 29

My doctor said it was a big NO-NO! Here's what I found online:Sleeping on your back while pregnant can create pressure on a major vein called the inferior vena cava. This vein returns blood from the lower body to your heart. This may lead to lightheadedness and/or numbness. In addition this may cause pressure on your back and intestines, leading to discomfort. Sleeping on your stomach is not recommended because it can cause pressure on the fetus. Most physicians recommend that a woman sleep on her left side while pregnant. this allows for the maximum blood flow to the baby, and it will also improve kidney function for the mother. The improved kidney flow will help to reduce swelling. Because your liver is on the right side of your body, sleeping on your left will keep the pressure off your liver. Early in pregnancy, you should attempt to get into the habit of side sleeping. Typically the most comfortable position is with your knees bent. You may wish to place a pillow between your knees to sleep more comfortably. The best sleeping position for a pregnant woman is on her side, especially the left side, because it allows for maximum blood flow to the fetus and improves kidney function in the mother. Improved kidney flow helps to reduce any swelling. Placing a pillow between the knees can help a pregnant woman sleep more comfortably on her side. Also, using a bunched-up pillow or rolled-up blanket at the small of your back may help to relieve some pressure. It is not uncommon to roll onto your back during the night. Shifting positions is a perfectly natural part of sleep. If you do shift it is possible that the baby's weight may press on the inferior vena cava, causing discomfort and waking you up.

BBK - June 29

37.5 weeks....along D-day is very close.

P - June 29

Monica what you describe isn't really sleeping on your back and I'm sure it's fine. Even some doctors will say sleeping flat on your back is okay while others say try not to. The reason for that is you may put pressure on an artery that brings blood from your lower body to your heart. This is more of a problem for you rather than your baby because you will get sick and dizzy long before it could harm your baby. BBK has your wife tried almonds for her reflux? It's a surprisingly effective remedy. Suck until the skin starts to peel and then chew 3-5 almonds. It works for my mother who has bad reflux as well.

Lissi - June 29

I'm sure it's ok if you're propped up at an angle. That way the weight is directed downwards instead of pressing directly onto your spine. I had to do this last night, because of acid indigestion, and I get pains in my hips if I lie on either side. I did keep sliding down though which was annoying. I don't want to have to sleep on the couch, but I may have to. :(

BBK - June 29

Thanks P. Almonds seemed to work up to a point, but not any longer. She can actually avoid it if eating certain foods, and certain "fatty foods" seem to make it worse. Spicy foods seem to be OK..... go figure. A couple of days ago she asked me for a lamb chops and she hasn't been the same since.... I think she'll feel better when the baby drops because one of the baby's feet is just under the stomach. Funny thing is the dogs (small) like to bunk with us but now they are confused! LOL

Shelly - June 29

I seem to have an opinion about everything so here is my next one: I THINK that if you can sleep in an angle like that you should be fine cuz your not really putting any pressure,if you would I'm sure your body would tell you.For quite some time I was having a hard time sleeping,but since a couple nights i've added an other pillow (i have 5 now) and found a way to be pretty comfortable even with my fat beely.I have one pillow under my legs to keep my feet elevated (there less swollen,BBK thanks for the watermelon tip,it has helped some)one between my legs.one that i'm kind of "hugging"on my side,and two under my head.

littlemrsb - June 29

I think you should call your doctor. There are many different opinions on this. Good luck!

monica - June 29

I see my doctor this friday, I also turn 36 weeks this friday... so excited... finally entering my 9th month. I keep forgetting to ask. I hope I can remember this friday. I have a feeling it might be OK as long as I am not completely flat. Flat hurts but prop up feels so comfortable.

E - June 29

I slept in whatever position I could. If it was on my back, I would wake up when a leg or arm went numb. I would simply change positions. There was a point when I no longer had a choice as to how I slept, due to a dislocated hip and sprained sacrum. It was 20 minutes maximum on my sides and back. I had to turn, literally, every 20 minutes or I would get extremely uncomfortable.

Lynn - June 29

I wouldnt..as "Here" stated it puts pressure on your vital organs, like your vena cava(your heart), making it harder for you to breathe, therefore probably I would think anatomically speaking making it harder for your little one to get air, but I would think also those lower organs, I would not do it,I dont do it (27 wks), but that is JMO~

Lissi - June 29

E, that sounds awful. I thought I was having a hard time but at least I can get an hours sleep in before I have to move.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?