Smoking-pg111439928818

23 Replies
Wondering... - April 24

I'm curious if any women are like me in the sense that I'm coming up on 30 weeks, and have not completely quit smoking. It's hard, especially when your husband smokes as well. I've told all my friends and family (other than my hubby) that I've quit, and I never smoke in public, other than in my car or occasionally in the apartment. I also never buy cigarettes, I just smoke about 3 of my husbands per night. Please answer honestly...it's really tough to quit...anyone in the same boat?

sarita - April 24

Still smoking here. It seems impossible to quit. I have cut back. I take the flack and ugly stares...and the unsolicited comments with a grain of salt. I know Im pregnant, but im still an addict. All I can hope for is that noone else even tries it!!!

Wondering - April 24

Sarita, how far along are you?

Jamie - April 25

I was fortunate - my husband said that he played a part in me getting pregnant, and so he was going to quit smoking/drinking too. I'm sure it is hard for you - esp. since your husband is so insensitive as to NOT quit with you. Talk to your doctor about Zyban - my husband and I were on it for about 2 weeks before we both quit cold-turkey; neither of us has even had any kind of craving whatsoever since then.

i confess... - April 25

Guilty as charged... :-( I am 27 wks, and my bf gave it up when I was 10 wks ... I resolved to quit in the new year and went through vicious panic attacks and gave in. I've "quit" three times since then, but every time I find an excuse... Am closet smoking, but have cut down, only my best friend and bf know, but I feel guilty ALL THE TIME... The thing is, I am a real healthy eater, run/walk every day, have such a positive outlook on life and yet I am too weak to give up this crutch. Best of luck to you all. Thanks for asking the question. It feels good to admit to it ...

Wondering - April 25

Well...it's nice to be able to admit that we're not perfect little preggo machines...doing everything exactly by the book is pretty close to impossible. We all have our addictions, it's nice to know we're here for support. I will say that early on in my pregnancy I could smoke during the day (here and there at work), but now that I'm 30 weeks or so, I don't have the craving as much. It's mostly at about 6 o'clock, right after work that I will smoke a cig. and it's not always a whole one. Well...I'm gonna lay it on my husband for being such an insensitive SELFISH father of OUR child, that's very awesome of your hub. (Jamie) to stop with you. Great guy!

Mary Kate - April 25

I'm guilty too. 14 weeks preg and every day I'm promising to quit. Easier said than done. Have 1st hospital appoint May 11th so that's my aim to quit. Don't was to answer yes to the smoking question. Don't you just have to hand it to women who give them up the day they discover their preg.

Maddie - April 25

Oh definately. They have great will power, Mary Kate. My best friend completely quit smoking right when she took the test. Granted she smoked like a pack before she tested, but as soon as she saw the results, she was over it. Wow...Gotta hand it to her. She also didn't have a husband/boyfriend that smoked, so I think that it is way WAY easier that way.

sonia - April 25

Hi to all..Smoking harms your baby......When you smoke your baby gets less OXYGEN: Lack of oxygen can cause your baby to grow more slowly and gain less weight in the womb >>.Smoking during pregnancy has also been linked to preterm labor and other pregnancy complication.........Please quite or cut back as much as you can. I know it's hard, but remember, you're doing this for your baby: Her are some resource that can help::::::::::::Ok (1) Write down your reasons for quitting look at the list when you are temple to smoke ::::(2) Choose a quite day on that day throw away all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays::::::(3) Stay away from places act_ties or people that make you feel like smoking. Don't get discouraged if you don't quit comletely right away.. Keep trying:) If you can't quit cut back as much as you can >>>>> Thank you all>>> good luck to all

Sam - April 25

I was lucky. I decided to quit for my hubbys birthday. So, I did the patch thing and the gum thing and a whole bunch of other c___p that didn't work. Finally, i just said, "Screw it." and tried cold turkey. I had the shakes, nausea, b___hiness, the works! It was absolute hell, but i did it. Then, a month later, i got pregnant. Talk about the skin of my teeth. You know, people who have never smoked can say what they want. Unless you've been addicted to nicotine, you have no idea!!! Good for you guys for at least cutting down!!! That's hard. Keep trying. I was one of those women who said, "Oh, I'll quit when life gets a little less stressful." Uh, yeah. I realized that all life is is stress, so if I gave myself that limitation, I'd never quit!!! Keep trying girls. You can do it! Good luck!

jb - April 25

I used to smoke before I was pregnant at about 6-7 weeks I decided that I needed to do this for me and my babies. I still have cravings but I haven't given in to it. I am at 13 weeks now with my second pregnancy. I did the same thing with my 1st but about 3 months after giving birth I started up again. I am really hoping that doesn't happen again. My husband also smokes and he has given himself the dead line of May 21st to quit. Good luck toy ou guys I know what you are going through.

Stephanie - April 25

When I found out I was pregnant, I think that I smoked for a couple of days, until it made me sick, and because I felt wrong to be doing it. About two months after I had my daughter I started smoking again and still do to this day. My husband and I are getting my IUD out in June, (it was supposed to be August) and when I do get pregnant again, I think that I will be able to quit like I did before. It is a hard and nasty habit to break, so good luck to you all in trying to quit while pregnant or just cutting back significantly.

nhb - April 25

I'm not a smoker, so I have no idea what it's like . . . luckily for me. But one of the things that I've heard around here (don't laugh) is that hypnosis works . . . there's a radio station near where I live, and one of the hostesses of the morning show gives a pitch every day about how this hypnosis center asked her some questions, then they hypnotized her and since then she's craved water instead of cigarettes . . . it may be worth looking into . . . it can't hurt, right?

Billie - April 25

I just wanted to say that I am happy that no one came on this thread with negative things to say. Finally!!!! Second, I smoked for a long time before I got pregnant. I actually quit the week before I got pregnant. It was hard but as soon as I found out that I was pregnant, I quit for real!!! I am now 35 weeks and trust me, the cravings are still there but the only thing that keeps me from lighting up is my baby. The last thing I want to do is put him in harms way. (especially since it took a year to conceive!!) The only thing I can tell you is that if you want to quit, think about your baby everytime you take a pull. If you don't want to quit completely, then cut back as much as you can. Go from 3 cigarettes a day to 3 cigarettes a week. I know it's tough but if you really want to do it, you will!!! Good luck!!!!

Stephanie - April 25

To NHB: Both my parents quit by going to hypnosis...

Brandi - April 25

Is the patch safe during pregnancy. I want to quit, Im only 8 wks. and it scares me.

To Brandi - April 26

Talk to your doctor; I was told "NO" the patch is NOT safe while you're pregnant, but there ARE alternatives - I used Zyban.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?