Tanning-pg111229199718

14 Replies
Hope - March 31

One of my friends said that her doctor said that it was safe to go tanning as long as you don't get too hot. Is it true?

Heidi - March 31

I wouldn't tan in a tanning bed as you get too hot. You don't want to get overheated when you're pregnant. Try a self tanner. There's plenty out there on the market now that are good. I won't use a tanning bed but I'm sure this summer I'll try to get some natural rays but within moderation.

tiffani - March 31

When you're pregnant, never go by what "your friends" doctors says. When in doubt, play it safe and call YOUR doctor. Also, I would question any doctor that refers to a tanning bed being "safe" since prolonged use can lead to skin cancer. If you want the names of some good self tanners, let me know and i'll give you a list. :o)

zz - March 31

Ultraviolet light-sun exposure has been linked to skin cancer, but no one knows exactly how. It appears most likely that sunburn particularly among fair-skinned people - is the biggest risk factor. So saying UV light causes skin cancer and therefore should be avoided is like saying water causes drowning and therefore should be avoided. You need water in order to live, and you need ultraviolet light in order to live. I agree with you that she should contact HER doctor. You are also right in saying that tanning beds should not be referred to as safe. The word "safe" implies that one can recklessly abuse something without any fear of causing harm. By teaching a "smart" approach to sunburn prevention that recognizes that people do percieve different benifits from being in the sun, we are able to teach sunburn prevention in a practical way that respets both the potential benefits and the risks of sun exsposure. I own a tanning salon and am 11 weeks pregnant. I have choosen not to tan because of the risk of overheating and the fact that pregnancy hormones can cause your skin to blotch when exsposed to UV light. The mystic tan (shower/spray tan) is a great alternative. But you should be aware that a self tanner provides no protection from UV light and sun exsposure so please make sure you still wear a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Girls its all about sunburn prevention :o) !!!!

Kelly - April 5

I am 9 weeks pregnant and have chosen not to continue tanning. I am really missing the color. If anyone can recommend some self tanners I would appreciate it. I am fairly light skinned normally.

Heidi - April 5

I see Walmart carries a big selection of self tanners. I'd try the one that gradually tans. You add more after so many days so you get a more natural, gradual tan. I think Neutrogena sells it. I plan on trying it too one of these days.

Laura - April 5

You can also try Mystic Tans. I work for a Dermatologist and there is absolute proof that a tanning bed causes much more damage than natural UV light, not to mention the harm the heat can cause to an unborn baby. I am pale as a ghost right now and I don't like it but I know at least I know I am saving my skin. Self-tanners are much improved now - Clinique bronzer is great. If you have it available, try Mystic Tans. They are safe and will give you a nice even color since it's a spray-on self-tanner. I spent years tanning as a teenager and you should not believe the what they tell you at the tanning salons. In fact, in CA where I live it is illegal to let anyone under 18 tan now without written permission. I doubt that many salons follow this, though.

KHADIJA - April 10

YOU CAN TRY THE AS SEEN ON TV STUFF CALLED SALON BRONZE ITS LIKE THE MYSTIC TAN BUT YOU DO IT YOURSELF, ALSO YOU CAN BUY IT AT SALLYS BEAUTY SUPPLY, IT A LITTLE TRICKY BUT IF YOU HAVE ANYONE TO HELP ITS REALLY GOOD AND A NICE DEEP BRONZE COLOR TOO

Leahp - April 11

What about just laying out in the sun for a little bit?? It was a beautiful weekend and my mom and I layed out, to get a little sun, but I for sure kept myself hydrated and comfortable!

chloe - April 11

i see no reason at all why tanning in the sun would be a problem . exposure to natural uv light is essential for good health...and in evolutionary terms we would have spent the majority of time out in the sun..whether pregnant opr not....so long as you do what you said, and keep cool, well hydrated..and of course be careful not to overdo it it should be just fine.

jenjen - April 11

Loreal sublime bronze is a great self tanner. Looks like the real thing.

KM - April 12

Just remember in second and third trimester to stay off your tummy and don't lay flat on your back

Kathy - April 20

I would not get any sunless tanner from wal mart. I just don't trust it. The cheap stuff tends to streak and get blotchy and orange. The kind I have found is pretty good is made by clinique.

Maddie - April 20

My friend was the CUTEST little pregnant girl ever. It makes me sick, seeing as I feel like a big hog! (30 weeks preg.) She said she went to the tanning bed once or twice a month. Her baby came out a really pretty, healthy looking tan color, but seriously, not from the tanning bed. I don't know if it's linked to this but, her baby girl was born with a little deformity... on her ear, she has a little growth, it looks like a small extension. They have to wait a year, then they can get it removed. Don't know if it's from the Tanning Bed. I wouldn't do the tanning bed thing though, it kinda reminds me of boiling an egg or something.

Maddie - April 20

Most babies can open their eyes during the third trimester, the bright lights from the UV lights could definately harm their little premature eyeb___s! Don't do it. There is not enough research on tanning beds to be safe.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?