Bonnie -pg116926957988

5 Replies
aurorabunny - January 20

Okay I have a question special for you, from one experienced mom of a severe refluxer to another---Brody is 6 months old and starting to seem maybe just a tad frustrated at how slow his formula is coming out of the bottle. But after all his difficulties and his ALTE I am TERRIFIED to start on the stage 2 nipples. When did you switch with your son??? Thanks in advance!!

Bonnie - January 20

Mason was on stage 2 at like 2 months, lol. Funny you asked this. I remember when he first kept choking on everything, I kept thinking he was drinking too much too fast. I even bought premie nipples for my 8 pounder. Then I found out he was choking on reflux, not the flow of the nipples. he's actually been on stage 3 since about 4 months old. I find that it never made much difference on how he refluxed. I would say to go for it, he is more than ready for stage 2...if not stage 3 at that point. :)

aurorabunny - January 20

Ok thank you!! And I'm sure my poor guy who is wondering "Why the hell won't this milk come out faster?" would say thank you to you as well, LOL. I guess I will just bite the bullet. Makes complete sense....its just that when he had his incident he was drinking water out of a bottle that was not his regular kind (we were at mil's house) and I guess I always just a__sociated the fast flow nipples with choking. I keep having to remind myself that he is getting to be a big boy and I need to let some of this stuff go. So hard when you're just used to fretting over them 24 hours a day...thanks for your help Bonnie!! Maybe you can help me kick some of my mommy neurosis =)

Bonnie - January 20

It's not the fast flow. It's a combination of thin liquid and actual reflux (hence while thickening helps some kiddos). As a note....Mason has always choked far mroe on water. I would a__sume beacuse it is thinner. The other reflux mommies I have spoken to have all said the same thing. When a reflux kid chokes, water is the wrong thing to give, lol. Anyway, when Mason was drinking water with meals, I just gave it in a sippy. He is better now, but still chokes on it frequently. It's just something you have to deal with. I would recommend you buy one fast medium and fast flow nipple and try both out. You may find he does great on fast flow. I use the latex (normal) playtex nursers and they don't have a regular medium flow for some odd reason. He's been on those since about 4 months no problem.

aurorabunny - January 20

Yeah, we haven't attemped water since the incident happened and that was 5 months ago. Brody was only 5 weeks old than but he was sounding stuffy and congested (come to find out from the reflux) so the stupid nurse told us to give him some water. BAD IDEA!! Ped said we can start trying water again but yet another thing I'm scared to do. Totally makes sense what you said now that I think about it though. Guess nothing to worry about anymore with the higher stages of nipples. Any good 1rst sippy cup suggestions??

Bonnie - January 20

The real question for you I think is, how well is the reflux controlled pain-wise. At 6 months, Mason's medications had him pain free with no "break through" pain at all and that is where we are to this day. So things like water that may help him reflux more, aren't too much of an issue because he will cough and sputter a few seconds, but he isn't bothered by it. However, if Mason were still having reflux pain, I would be far mroe hesitant to give him water as I wouldn't want to do anything that might cause him any pain. ............Sippy cups are tough. They are so expensive and from talking to other people, it seems babies have different preferences. Mason likes straws. The best sippy cup for him is the gerber one that has handles and a straw. the straw is a no spill one too which is nice. He also has some Nuby ones with a straw but he prefers the gerbers. Any sippy that doesnt have a straw down to the bottom, he wont touch.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?