Cereal In The Bottle -pg114299543918

10 Replies
cm071803 - March 21

my baby is 6 weeks old and i have been told by some that it is o.k. to put a little cereal in the bottle. i know it's not the "by the book" thing to do, but a lot of people do it. any suggestions? do you use oatmeal or baley cereal to start off?

Lillie E - March 21

well, from what i understand, the only reason to put cereal in a bottle is if an infant is under weight. otherwise your supposed to weight until what used to be 4 months, but now i'm being told 6.

Tamara-031306 - March 21

My ds is 5 weeks and I've been told the same because he is constantly hungry. I've tried him on rice cereal with a spoon but he's too little to really do it...but he does get some. I only gave him 1/2 tsp for now...I'm gonna do the bottle thing tonight. I think do what you feel is right for your little one...no one else knows better.

Bubbles11 - March 21

I gave my daughter regular rice cereal in her bottle when she was 2 weeks old because she was projectile vomiting.It worked some what but she was also hungry all the time. I changed her formula a week ago to Enfamil AR which keeps her full longer and keeps it down also. Its more for babies with acid reflux. Since shes hungry all the time i also started her on solids a few weeks earlier than recommended which i am SOOO glad i did. she is 4 months old a week ago and is an excellant eater. Its not for all babies but i do have some advice, do what you think is right. Go with your instinct thats what i did and im so glad i did.

TinaMarie - March 22

My doc had me give my daughter cereal in the bottle from the time she was 2 weeks old. But she was only 5.5 when she was born. We used rice cereal. It helped her gain the weight she needed, but if you want to do it because you think it will make them sleep through the night I am not convinced it works. She is now 4 months and she still does not sleep through the night. I would ask your Ped before doing. Also the rice cereal can really constipate them, at least that is what I was told.

lynnstress - March 22

I've heard (and the books tell us) to start with rice cereal. Personally, I will not put it in a bottle but do spoon feeding when I start (which should be later this week). He will be 14 weeks this Friday. My mom and sister have been telling me to give him cereal since he was 4 weeks old. He was born big (9 lbs., 1 oz.) and was 12 lbs., 5 oz. at 8 weeks. Of course, the doctors say not to give solids before 4 months. I will give him cereal as soon as I get to the store this week. And I'm going to get a baby brand, whether it's any big difference or not.

PaigeMeagans mommy - March 22

My daughter is 2 1/2 months and I put cereal in her bottle....no mind you, my daughter also has acid reflux and she only gets a bottle with cereal at night to help her sleep better since the days can be bad for her. But on the other hand, my other daughter who is almost 2. I gave her cereal in her bottle at about 3 months and never had any problems. They say its not good to, but I did it and never had any problems with either of my girls. I found rice cereal constipates both my daughters. So I use oatmeal with my newest dd.

cm071803 - March 22

i'm thinking that if i do try it, i will do it in the morning and see if it calms her down at all during the day. she's been very fussy in the afternoon and the only thing that makes her happy is if i hold her (which i know she is just being a baby).

Bonnie - March 22

I would not give it to her for just being fussy. Cereal in bottles is recommended for 2 reasons.....if your child is underweight or is she has acid reflux and the extra thickness makes it heavier which helps it to stay down. What I WOULD suggest is that is you feel she is being overly fussy, make an appointment with your pediatrician to find out why. Start keeping a daily journal to give to the doctor. Keep track of when she eats, sleeps, poops, is ga__sy, and has heavy crying periods. Normal babies cry for 1-3 hours per day. If yours is doing more than this or you feel tehre may be something wrong, then definately get her checked out to find out why.

pbj - March 22

I agree with Bonnie; you should talk to your ped before you start any cereal. It is recommended to not start on cereal until 4-6 mths. and to only put it in a bottle for the reasons Bonnie mentioned. But just FYI, you would start w/ rice.

freshfaeries - March 23

I gave my daughter rice cereal (it's in the baby food ilse) in her bottle at 6 weeks. Now at 10 weeks she can spoon eat a little yogurt. I don't care what the experts say. my baby was hngry and i had to fee her

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?