Dehydration Can Be FATAL Please Read

7 Replies
Narcissus - April 25

My DHs lab tech has a friend and her baby died two days ago. Sadly, it was from something that can easily be prevented if you take the correct action. ------ The baby was very dehydrated due to vomiting and diarrhea. According to dh, and I may get this wrong, when your body is severely dehydrated, your cells empty out their water to hydrate the body and they close the membrane that lets water back in. Thus, giving your child fluids can kill the child. This baby died bc the parents gave her water thinking it was the right thing to do but the water had no place to go and it built up in her brain. She was pronounced dead just a couple hrs after being admitted into the ER. She was 15 months old. So very sad. ----- Lesson learned - take baby to the ER or to the pediatrician very early on if you suspect dehydration. It can be fatal.

 

Kaeli - April 25

That is horrible. I would have done the same thing...

 

Narcissus - April 25

Of course, I got some details wrong as dh just informed me. By osmosis, the cells release their fluid and they start to die. Once that happens, one has to be very careful about administering an fluids bc if you do it too quickly, the water becomes trapped in the body.

 

JAI - April 25

Last week my little guy who is just under 6 months old was admitted into the hospital for dehydration, they put an IV on him and said he was extremely dehydrated, It started with diarrhea, everyone kepy telling me "it is normal, he is teething" I felt concerned and said I felt something was not right. He was acting completely normal no other signs. After a full day if constantly changing diapers due to the diarrhea I realized he was not peeing, that was when I went straight to the ER. Thank g-d I went with my gut instinct, I know people mean well when they give advice....But never second guess yourself I have learned that. My wonderful baby boy is doing great now.

 

Brooke Mama Crow aka Brachah - April 26

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It is a very serious one, and can affect children of all ages. Laura, my middle daughter, was admitted to the hospital for one week for dehydration when she was 8 years old. It happens so fast ... and it happens just when you "think" you're doing the "right" thing. She had been VERY sick, and was not eating/drinking well (just like all of us when we feel yucky) ... combined with hot summer days ... it can spin out of control faster than you'd realize.

 

Brooke Mama Crow aka Brachah - April 26

As far as the baby, that makes my heart hurt. I cannot take hearing about children - especially babies - dying.

 

Rabbits07 - April 26

Last Spring my (then) 2 year old contracted a stomache virus and had vomiting/diarrhea. I noticed in span of several hours hje had only peed one time and even then you could barely tell the diaper was wet. I took him to the dr. and because he 'looked' well and was playing they said it was nothing to worry about. A couple of days later when he started getting over being sick and peeing good I noticed his urine was dark brown. I took him back to the dr. (a different one) and he said the dark brown urine was where he HAD been very dehydrated and this can actually cause the lining of the bladder to become irritated and bleed. (The old blood was causing the urine to look brown). Also, a couple of months ago my 13 year old son came home from school not feeling well. He went straight to bed and woke up the next morning and vomited 2x. I took him to the dr. and he had to be put on IV fluids. He had dehydrated that fast and only vomited twice (but hadn't drank anything since early the day before.) I think it is commonly thought that if the child is 'acting' okay (even my dr. thought that) that evrything is fine, but that is not always so. In the future if one of my kids were not urinating good, not drinking good, or was unable to keep drink down, even if they acted fine I would insist on bloodwork to check for dehydration. That is so terribly heart wrenching about that baby. My prayers go out for that family.

 

Narcissus - April 26

Someone mentioned that you want to administer fluids at the start so you can avoid dehydration but as Brooke stated, it can spin out of control quickly and it can be difficult to monitor. It's best to overreact if you suspect dehydration rather than to hope that is not the case. JAI, Rabbits, & Brooke, I am happy to hear that your children are doing well. We should never ignore our motherly instinct.

 

ADD A COMMENT:


You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!


Already a member?
Please login below.





Forgot your password?
Need Help?