Finger Foods -pg119117074172

5 Replies
DDT - September 30

My ds (7.5 months old) is showing definite signs that he's ready for finger foods and has for a while already. He grabs at the spoon, bowl...anything he can get within reach. He wants to be in charge. I've offered him some puffs, cheerios & teething biscuits. He chews/gnaws on the biscuits fine. With the puffs and cheerios he does manage to pick them up but then has a hard time getting them into his mouth as they are so small. He ends up collecting them in the palm of his hand and then gets frustrated because he can't get them into his mouth. (BTW he has no teeth yet). So, I am going to keep on offering them to him so he can practice some more. I have 3 questions: 1) Should I start offering him some finger foods before every meal? right now I've just been doing it for snack time (between lunch & dinner) 2) in your experience or readings which finger foods would be easier for him to pick up and actually get into his mouth? 3) Self-feeding! soo messy! do you other moms just give them the spoon and let them go at it? My ds just tends to grab the bowl and fling it...contents and all. But he wants that spoon SO bad every meal. I know its more about the experience and feeling of independence they get ...but really! maybe he isn't ready for self-feeding? (FYI: I feed him 90% home-made baby food, and so was looking for some finger foods I could prepare at home). Thanks!!

starlight_94 - September 30

Hey DDT, myds is about the same age and has had finger foods for a while now. He also has no teeth yet which is frustrating on both parts b/c he wants what I have all the time. For the most part I share everything I have with him and make sure to watch him like a hawk!! He has been feeding himself for at least a month and has very good pincher reflex so he can get it all to his mouth by himself. Some things I share with him are potatoes, noodles, yogurt, bread, applesaiuse, SMALL pieces of fries, rice bannans,...etc. ontop of the cheerios, puffs and cookies made for infants. He does very well with stage three lumpier foods and so far has not had any issues. As for letting him feed himself from a spoon, its a no-go! I will wait until he gets a little more coordinated. I do let him have a spoon so he can practice putting it to his mouth and maybe get a little better at it. It is a essy process, but wll come with time, hope I helped!!!

hthab - September 30

Hi DDT! I started my ds on finger foods just after 7 months, and he was similar to your ds around 7.5 months. He'd only get maybe 6 cheerios in his mouth in one sitting. He'll be 9 months old tomorrow. Here's my attempt to answer your questions: 1) I started offering ds finger foods along with each meal. It made it much harder to spoon feed him, but I did it to keep him happy. Otherwise, he'd get bored and fussy. 2) Cheerios have always been the easiest thing for ds to get into his mouth. Kix are great too. The first other food that ds was able to get into his mouth was grapes (cut into 12ths!), and that was around 8 months. He's been pretty good with chicken too. 3) I give ds his own spoon if he starts grabbing at mine, but I don't really let him dig into the bowl himself yet. I guess he's messy enough as it it. Sometimes I dip his spoon myself and let him try to put it in his mouth himself. Also, I've started giving him more veggies lately (just before 9 months). I made homemade chicken noodle soup (not much sodium), and found that he liked all parts of it (noodles, carrots, celery, chicken). I also started giving him frozen corn and peas, cooked in the microwave for a couple of minutes. It sounds like you're on the right track. I'm kind of clueless with this, but I haven't tried to rush it. Good luck!

DDT - September 30

Thanks for the info ladies! My ds is eating fairly lumpy foods now and doesn't seem to have a problem with it (ie. mashed tofu which is the same consistency as cottage cheese). hthab: the grapes idea is a good one and I will try it out. I think my ds has to work on developing his pincher grasp some more. I'll just keep doing what Ive been doing and also offer him some finger foods during lunch & dinner. Thanks again!

Gretta - September 30

We also had my friend and her husband and her 15 month old daughter here for a night and the baby was everywhere and into everything and I got a big lesson on the need to babyproof. Plus she choked on a chip and turned blue and my friend grabber her and was trying to stop her from choking so I jumped up and started beating on her back between the sholdor blades and the bit came flying out and the baby was fine but it was so scary. So I got a lesson in toddler care! Amy how are you doing? Zay = how is Xander?

Gretta - September 30

oops sorry posted in the wrong place...Good luck with the finger foods :)

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?