Homemade Baby Food-pg117216647870

8 Replies
Shannah - February 22

h__lo, my son is a little over 6 months old and he eats, applesauce, pears, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots. i starting making my own apples sauce and pears. was curious when i read about putting them in ice cube tray and freeze them, do you just use regular ice cube trays? or do they have larger serving ones? also when can i start giving him mashed potatoes and can i store those the same way, puree and put in ice cube trays? i was reading another post about avocado and how you prepare those and freeze them. so i guess any help with making my own food and storing them would be great. thanks so much!

mcatherine - February 22

wholesomebabyfood.com - as Erynn21 always suggests. I didn't realize you were into to making your own stuff! Kudos to you, hon! I'm not that brave yet. I plan to play around a little more when fresh fruits and veggies start to appear, but not until then. Ha - I laughed at your meat comment but now I realize that you really are going to cook your own! I am anxious to read some of the answers you get - like avacados and potatoes. When??

Shannah - February 22

avacodos is now, i am not a big avacados person but they say kids love it. so i am going to get it next time at the store. applesauce is so easy just peal and apple core it cut it up and boil/steam with some water until soft and then just mash with a potatoe masher i make mine at home for myself all the time. i use macintosh apples for myself but i don't know what to use for him since thos are kind of bitter sweet

EricaG - February 22

I make my own babyfood, I've made Sweet potatoes, bananas, pears, sweet peas, b___ternut squash and peaches so far. I just use regular ice cube trays and if she seems really hungry I just pop 2 in the microwave instead of 1. I have a babyfood cookbook called blender baby food. It's really helpful. For storing the food I pour it into regular ice cube trays, put "press and seal" on top and freeze for about 24 hours, then I just put them in a marked freezer bag. It's so easy and I know exactly what my baby is getting. I'm confused a little, by your post, all that stuff that your ds eats, is it storebought or homemade? Sorry, it's just one of those days, lol.

Shannah - February 22

i make my own pears and applesbut haven't tried veggies yet. thanks for the tip, i will try my ice cube tray i have at home.

EricaG - February 22

oh, ok. Well, for the veggies that I have done, with the sweet potatoes I peel cube and boil them in water until they are are very tender, then put in the blender and add water (the water that I cooked them in, because some of the nutrients seep into that) until I get the consistency that I want. I do the same with the b___ternut squash. For the peas I use frozen peas that have no sodium or anything added to them, they have the same nutritional value as fresh. I boil them in water for... I think 5 minutes or something, anyway, until they're tender and then blend them adding water until the consistency is right.

Erynn21 - February 22

Ahh, thanks mcatherine...I am really trying to do the best for my dd. I tried to give my dd avocado, but it gave her a runny nose so we are not trying it again for a bit. I have also been giving Nora fresh, organic fruit sliced up and put in a mesh feeder bag, that thing rocks. They do have all the information you are searching for on wholesomebabyfood.com, that site is really helpful. Avocado can be introduced even as the very first food, it's high in omega 3 and other good fats for babies and my dd just had a bit of a reaction, but that was a few weeks ago. I even have frozen the foods in those small gladware containers, those really small, snack ones, you just have to use it within 3 days, just like jarred baby food.

Shannah - February 22

erica g thanks! that seems easy enough for the veggies. my son love sweet potatoes and applesauce together so i will make that!

Shannah - February 22

yea that website is great, it has lots of usefull info! thanks

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?