Humidifier In Ds S Room Questions

10 Replies
lin7604 - March 8

i have a humidifier in my ds's room as our house is soooo dry and it provides white noise. I was wondering why would it smell? I noticed after this last time i put in a new filter about 1 week after when it runs the air from it smells? why? wat would be causing it? the filter is new so it can't be that.

 

austinsmom - March 8

Have you cleaned every nook and cranny of the humidifier? What does it smell like?

 

austinsmom - March 8

Have you cleaned every nook and cranny of the humidifier? What does the air smell like?

 

Bridget - March 8

The smell could be mold (in parts other than the filter, it can form anywhere the water touches) which would eliminate any good it's doing, mold is bad to breathe in. My DS's humidifier had a small amount of mold but it didn't smell. Also, I use distilled water. If your tapwater has a lot of minerals in it, that could be causing an odor and you could try distilled. Hope this helps and good luck

 

lin7604 - March 8

thanks, i will clean itout again today just to make sure, we had a smaller one at one point that did the same but it just ment the filter needed to be changed as we do have hard water. but this filter is new? The smell doesn't smell like mold but a mildewy smell

 

lin7604 - March 8

i know mildew is a form of mold but it's really hard to explain the smell...

 

Bridget - March 8

Try the distilled water, it might help, since it is literally pure water and nothing else, no minerals (even the ones they put in bottled/purified water that are supposed to be good for you) or anything else. So that way you know you've eliminated the water as a factor. That's all I can think of. I don't think it could be the wiring but maybe check that too?

 

austinsmom - March 8

I was thinking that if you turned it off and filled it with disinfectant (maybe the clorex everywhere spray and water) and let it sit (no filter) for a while then rinsed it out really good that should kill all bacteria and germs etc and could take care of the smell.....for all the crannys that are tiney and unreachable...

 

kris313 - March 8

Clean it with white vinegar. It will kill anything organic living in places you can't see. The vinegar smell isn't all that appealing either, but at least the air will be safe.

 

lin7604 - March 8

thanks everyone, i will try the clorex or vinegar this evening.

 

tryingx3 - March 8

vinegar is also good for any mineral build up

 

ADD A COMMENT:


You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!


Already a member?
Please login below.





Forgot your password?
Need Help?