Sleep -pg114057020018

17 Replies
ashley - February 21

My son is 6 weeks old today. I know I shouldn't be complaining (so many have it much worse) but he is up to eat every 3 hours at night. Any ideas on how to stretch his night feedings? During the day he usually takes 2 hour nap in the morning and a 1.5 hour nap in the late afternoon. The million dollar question: How can I get him to sleep longer at night? Anyone have any tips that have worked for your little ones?

lisa - February 21

you have to just wait it out. his little tummy is too tiny, he has to eat every few hours it will get better soon.

MJM - February 21

My son is 7 wks old and he goes to bed at 8:30 or 9 and wakes at 4ish for a feeding. Of course he is a HOG and is up to 6 oz bottles. He was waking at 1-2 and what i did was just give him his sucky (pacifier) at that feeding, and now he is sleeping through the night. I also give him a little rice cereal in his night time bottle here and there. I stretch his last feeding out a while that way he will drink a full 6oz before bed. Dont get me wrong I dont starve him. he will get a bottle around 5:30ish and then some water between that feeding and bedtime if needed. But if he wants that formula then of course he gets it.

angela - February 22

If your little one sleeps for 5 or more hours a night that is considered sleeping through the night

Ashley - February 22

Thanks for the tips- I feel like I am moving backwards- last night he was so fussy he cried from about 9 to almost midnight. So we brought him back into our room in the ba__sinet instead of his crib. He finally slept- but spent several hours of the night asleep in my arms in bed. I hate that- I don't think its safe for him but it was the only way to get some rest. I'm actually writing down his schedule- what he actually does during the day to figure out a better pattern.

Jen - February 22

My son has just started to sleep through the night, and I found these things very helpful: get a routine down- try to do the same thing at the same time every night. This has been wonderful for us because I think he is finally starting to understand that he takes his bath, has a bottle, rocks and then it is bedtime. Also, does your son have bad gas/colic? I just started using colic calm this week, and I can not say enough good things about it. When my son gets ga__sy/fussy we give it to him (usually just before bed) and he calms down in about 5 minutes- every time. However, while these things will help, I don't know that your baby is ready to sleep through the night. I was in your shoes at 6 weeks, and he started to get better at around 8 weeks ( he is now 11 weeks). Good luck!

Ashley - February 22

We are working on the PM routine. We have a bath every evening around the same time- then eat, then rock and sleep- been doing it for almost 2 weeks. However he is not getting the idea. I ordered the gripe water yesterday actually- so hopefully it comes in soon. I don't expect him to sleep through the night yet- I just would love for him to start stretching his feedings at night to every 3.5-4 hours. We have made an improvement considering at one point it was every 2.5 hours.

Michelle - February 22

I do the same...I give my 7 week old daughter a little cereal in her bottle and she goes right to sleep. She gets a bath around 7:30...bottle at 8:00....asleep by 9...works great. She will drink about 8 ounces before she goes to sleep. She is a little piggie! I have to give her the cereal to make her sleep, otherwise she will suck on the pacifier and fuss. She is a big eater.

MJM - February 22

I also forgot to mention. When feeding time comes make sure that you feed the same times every day. So lets say 5am 8 am 11am etc if he wants a bottle at 7:30/7:45 am keep him/her busy until 8am. This truely does help with getting them on a good schedule

pbj - February 22

Give it a few more weeks, my dd didn't start sleeping 6 hours in a row until she was 8 weeks. It's just a little too soon for him...he will soon if he's formula fed, if he's bf it may be longer.

Erin1979 - February 22

every kid is different. I would not suggest trying to do anything...listen to your baby, if they are getting up in the night, it is b/c they are hungry. My sil is an L&D nurse. I ask her questions all the time. They all do not reccomend putting cereal in the baby's bottle. One day you'll wake up after 4-5 hours and wonder why your son isn't up yet. It just happens all of a sudden when they are ready.

pbj - February 23

Actually in most cases giving cereal too young can actually have an adverse affect. It can upset their delicate little digestive systems which are still developing. Exposing them to grains too early can help develop allergies which could be exposed later. Research is showing it's' thats where all these really horrible allergies are coming from (in some cases, such as peanut allergies). Never give your child cereal in a bottle unless your ped. ok's it.

ryanslilmama - February 23

This is Ashley- I guess we all have to be registered users now- I liked that we didn't have to be before- oh well. My son is exclusively b___st fed- while he was in the hospital he was supplemented with formula (in the NICU) and would sleep for 4 hours at a time so I know he can do it. :) I don't want to start any solids (rice cereal) until my ped wants me to. We have given him formula for his last night feeding a couple of times- but it doesn't help him sleep longer anymore. Still on a 3 hour schedule at night- at least he is usually good about going right back to sleep at night (mostly). We have him on a real schedule- the same every day. Wake/ eat around 7:30, play, nap, then 10:30, then 1:30, and 4:30 etc. His night feedings are consistently around 1:30 and 4:30.

ryanslilmama - February 24

Well, since I'm posting about it, it will probably never happen again. But... last night Ryan ate at 10:30 went to sleep at 11:00, woke for his 1:30 feeding- but I just popped his pacifier in his mouth- he sucked/ spit it out (I put it back) for about 45 min (I think). Next thing I know he woke me up crying and it was 4:00! I couldn't believe it. We'll see how tonight goes- if it was just a fluke or we are finally onto something...

Ca__sieSong - February 24

My dd is almost 11 weeks and she JUST started sleeping in 7-8 hour stretches. About a week ago, she began sleeping in 5 hour stretches. When she was 9 weeks, and she had her 2 month check up, her ped suggested we let her cry a little at one of her night time feedings to see if she'd go back to sleep. I just couldn't do it and I kept feeding her whenever she cried. Well, two weeks later she is sleeping 8 hours. I think she just wasn't ready and I'm glad I fed her whenever she cried for it.

AmandaManns - February 25

My son started sleeping through the night when he was 7 weeks. He eats 5 oz every 3-4 hours during the day and his night time bottle I make him 6 oz. I do not put any cereal in his bottle...his ped suggested it but if he will sleep through the night without it then I am not doing it. But he gets a bath around 9-9:30 and gets his bottle about 10-10:30 and goes to sleep and does not wake up until 7 or 8 in the morning. We also started using the Johnson's Bedtime Bath and it does really seem to calm him.

Faiths mommy - February 26

My DD is 7 months old and still wakes up every 3-4 hours to eat she is b___stfed, never hasd had a bottle at all. The ohter night dhe actually slept for like 5 hours and I woke my husband up and said Faith has not woken up yet, we both got up and checked on her, needless to say 20 minutes later she was awake more hungry than she has been in a long time. She sleeps in our room in her crib. When she wakes up she just moves around in her crib and fusses a bit and I get her and she eats and is still sleeping so I change her diaper and she still sleeps. So I am not sure if that is considered waking up or not because she does not fully wake up. So to ans your ? there are some babies that sleep through the night and some don't. I don't mind when she gets up it makes me feel good knowing she counts on me to be there for her. Sorry I rambled a bit this site has gotten pretty slow.....We give her a nice bath at around 6:30 and then I put some Johnsons night time lotion on her and feed her and she goes to sleep about 30 minutes later. That is our night time routine.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?