Sleeping-pg123140331769

12 Replies
dmjdjw336 - January 8

I was just wondering what was the average age that babies sleep through the night? How you know they are ready to? and How do you get them to and or teach them to?

clindholm - January 8

It seems to be different for each baby. Alot of times it depends on their weight and how much b___stmilk or formula they are taking. I have heard of babies sleeping through the night at a week old. Of course my dd was about 4 1/2 months when she started and I am still waiting for my 12 week old to do it. How old is your lo and how much are they taking at a feeding? Of course once they sleep through the night, teething is right around the corner and you're back up again!

jessb - January 8

People say alot of thinngs, at 12 weeks, when the baby is 10 pounds, etc. Every baby is really different. I guess you just know when they can drink enough to hold them over for at least 6 hours (thats what doctors consider sleeping through the night). Anyway my dd is 7 weeks, well over ten pounds and not even close to sleeping through. Some nights she does better than others and I just can figure out why. Last night was horrible. I was actually sobbing hysterically while I was holding her and rocking her. I was just so exhausted and all I wanted was SLEEP!! Colleen- I know you must be dying going back to work and being so exhausted. I am terrified for when I go back. I just dont get it. Why does some nights she sleep for 4-5 hours and other nights she is up every 2. If she gets up every 2 hours, it takes me at least an hour to feed, change, and rock her back to sleep. So that means I am up for at least 3 hours. Sigh!!! I love her but she is gonna have to start sleeping more, LOL!!!

dmjdjw336 - January 9

Kyle is 6 weeks and 2 days old and takes 4 1/2 t 5 oz ever four hours. And Jess I know how that is Kyle will do the same thing to me. I just want sleep too. DJ can sleep through his crying, though he claims that he doesn't, and I cannot do that.

mjvdec01 - January 9

Our daughter slept through the night at 5 weeks and our son at 8 weeks. Our son will be 6 months on the 17th and eats 7 ounces every 2-3.5 hours. His last feeding is between 7 and 8pm, and he sleeps until about 7am.

gabby509 - January 9

My son was an every 2 hour baby for the first 6 months. He is brestfed, so my ped kept saying it was because he is so big and it took lots more food to fill him, he was born weighing 9lbs 1 ounce and I had him a week before my due date. So, now that he is on solids at 7 months, he sleeps for 10-12 hour stretches without waking at night. I felt like he was NEVER going to get a hang of the sleeping thing. I actually got the book, the Baby Whisperer, and alot of her tecniques helped us, especially the pick up put down method. My son now puts himself to sleep also, we just lay him down in his crib and he will take care of the rest. Don't worry it will happen, but it will take a few bad nights to get there.

clindholm - January 9

The only advice I can give is if your lo goes more than 3 hours during the day, it may help (as it did for me) to wake them every 3 and feed. I was trying to stockpile him for the night. My ds is 12 weeks and only about 8 1/2 pounds (7 weeks premature) and he will do 5 hours at night and on occasion 6 hours which is heaven! Jess- it is rough going back to work, I just try to remind myself that "This too shall pa__s" of course I am not in your situation with the every 2 hour thing. My dd was horrible like that too, taking an hour to drink 2 oz and feeding every 2 hours. The other thing that helps is baths. Not for the reason the books say, relaxation. My ds HATES baths and screams and thrashes as if it is pure torture. Anyway, all the drama just takes all of his energy so I feed after his bath and he sleeps very well on bath night. Of course having very dry skin means I can't bathe him every night as I would like to. Breastfed babies always feed more often b/c it is so much easier to digest, it goes right through them. Seriously girls, our dh's HAVE to help and feed for a night every few days to give us a break wether we are working or not. Especially for those with toddlers as well as newborns. There is also something called a "Dreamfeed" which might work for you Jess. Do a search if you're not familiar with this technique. I am going to make a new thread for us "Supposed to be December Mommies". Colleen

jenna32 - January 10

you usually have to teach them how and unless you are a lucky one,it is heck. you USUALLY have to let them cry it out, although you can constantly come back and do the no cry sleep solutions,there is like a whole book on different ways that you can do it. i still haven't taught mt 13 month old ( i know,pathetic) but lately she has been sleeping a hour or 2 on her own ( which is amazing for me here). Well she will sleep the night if i am laying with her though ( i co sleep). Once you start 3 solid meals a day, i think that could be part of why she is sleeping so well now to.

kay101 - January 10

Ack ds is 8 months old and still wakes up 2-3 times a night to eat so when you figure it out, let me know!

dmjdjw336 - January 11

I have found a way to get my lo to sleep through the night. He is slowly starting to, it has been two nights in a row now, I just hope this keeps up. My mom helped me with that. Keep them awake during their feedings during the day and during their last feeding at night. This will tire them out. Also try and keep them awake during the day as much as you can. I find that letting him cry or suck on a binkie an hour before his next feeding also helps. Also for the last feeding an extra ounce helps him sleep for about 6-7 hours at night. Maybe that will help you guys out if your lo is not sleeping through the night yet. ↑

gabby509 - January 11

DMJ, since your lo is still very young that will work, but I hate to be a pessimist but once he gets a little older, keeping him awake lots during teh day will make him sleep less at night. He will get extremely overtired and then fight sleep. When my son was about 2 months we did the same thing but once 4 months hit, he was a nightmare, so overtired everyday that he would wake up every hour at night. Like Jenna sad, you have to train your baby to sleep through the night, unless you're one of the lucky ones that gets a great sleeper. I'm not an expert by any means but I had a really tough first 6 months with my son and sleeping, so I understand where tired mommy's are coming from. Good Luck!

dmjdjw336 - January 11

We don't keep him awake all day. We keep him awake during his feeding time, then it will take him half an hour to fall back to sleep on his own and then wake up about an hour before his next feeding. It just seems to be working and I have been told my many family members on both sides of our family that we should keep him awake as much as possible during the day so that he can sleep at night and have him take naps during the day. That was all I was getting at and it seems to be working. Better than him sleeping all day and staying awake at night and keeping us up.

gabby509 - January 11

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to sound nasty about it. I was just saying that as they get older it's tough to do that. In my opinion it seems like with older babies the better the schedule and routine the better they sleep at night. Like for example my ds is 7 months and he wakes up around 8, plays for 2 hours, then naps for 2 hours, then is awake for 2 hours, then takes a 2 hour nap then is awake for 2-3 hours then goes to bed for the night. The nap times sometimes vary, sometimes they are 1.5 hours or 2.5 hours but what I'm getting at is that if he doesn't take at least 5 hours a day worth of naps, he will not sleep well at night. Well I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just trying to help. Obviously do whatever works best for you.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?