Water-pg115178363318

18 Replies
Lindsey - July 1

Do any of you other mums give you little ones water, I have just started to do this and he seems to be drinking loads. Should i let him drink as much as he wants to, i still regularly burp him but he can drink anything up to 4 fluid oz. Is this too much.

Rabbits07 - July 1

Most doctors in the US don't recommend giving water until they are 6 months. I don't think there is anything wrong with water, but just that they prefer that they be given b___stmilk or formula as that is where all the nutrition comes from. I'm not sure what the recommendations in other countries are.

Lindsey - July 1

Oh, i live in England and my midwife said it was ok, but i just didn't check how much. He has about 3-4 fluid oz of formula every 3-4 hours but in between as it is very warm over here at the moment I give him water. he is only 16 days old. I wonder why US doctors don't recommend!!

HannahBaby - July 1

Consider yourself lucky my daughter WILL NOT TAKE water and will rarely drink milk unless its for bed time....so i have to water down her juice alot so shes not getting all that sugar

HannahBaby - July 1

o, my daughter is 17 months.....never gave her water until 12 months...our ped said not to.

cae - July 1

Yes, I agree with Rabbits. Most doctors do not recommend until 6 months when they are eating solids. I think the reason is, is because they already get enough water from the formula. But I would follow your peds advice. It is amazing that many peds are so different from one another on their beliefs in water, when to start solids, etc. But every baby is different from one another also. Good luck.

Annette - July 1

I had the same question. My son wil be 5 mo soon and It´s amazingly hot here in NYC, sometimes he sweats a lot and his fontanella is sunken in but he won´t drink milk unless he is hungry, however he can guzzle down ounces of water. I rather give him some than let him dehydrate because he really won´t drink anything else when he gets thirsty, formula or b___st. He is eating a bit of cereal and some fruit everyday, can anyone tell me if it´s OK to give him some water???

Rabbits07 - July 1

Annette, if he will drink water when refusing milk then I would go ahead and give it to him to keep him from dehydrating.

Annette - July 1

Thanks, Rabbits!! Yep, that´s exactly what I thought . Right now after a week of NOT eating he increased his intake, but won´t accept milk when it´s hot, so I guess he is fine!

lindsay - July 2

peds don't want babies to have water so they don't fill up on it and then not take their regular feeding of milk is all... i think if you give it to george, just limit it to an ounce or 2 at a time...

ChannY - July 2

My daughter is going to be 15 months in 2 weeks...sadly..she's a water hater :(..lol. the only time she gets wtare if i fill 4 oz of water in juice and her milk..sad eh? i wants her to get use to drinking water but she just never takes it. ugh!!

Lindsey - July 2

He loves water, it doesn't affect him with his formula as he still has his regular feeds and gulps it down. I do only limit his water to 1-2 oz at a time and he only has it once or twice a day, so i guess as my midwife said it was ok i will just carry on. If i notice it affecting his feeds then i will stop. Thanks for your advice girls

starr - July 2

My little girl is 16 days old and my ped said she can't have water until 6 mos b/c it's not good for their kidneys.I will wait until then and hope she likes water.But if your little one has no problems with it and your dr says it's ok and it doesn't affect his feedings then go for it.Good Luck.

Cat - July 3

IMPORTANT: It's not just about the baby filling up on water and taking less b___st milk or formula. It's mainly because of water intoxication. It doesn't take much when they're already getting lots of water in b___st milk and formula. I would talk to your peds before giving any water, just to be safe. "The Dangers of Too Much Water In recent years, cases of water intoxication in babies have been reported with increasing frequency. Water intoxication is characterized by a spectrum of symptoms, including irritability or sleepiness, hypothermia, edema, and seizures."

Cat - July 3

Please do a search for more information on it.

Cat - July 3

Third time is a charm, sigh. I meant to add, you can search under "water intoxication" or "hyponatremia".

mama3 - July 3

I have been giving my lo 2-4 oz of water with a quarter oz of apple juice since she was 2 weeks old. Most days she drink 4 oz. Sometimes she just isn't in the mood,lol. When I give her the water, I give it to her to replace a feeding. Usually when I don't want her to sleep long. If I don't give her water everyday she either skips a poo or has a hard poo. The water is helps flush there system. An is really good to do if they are Formula feed. As Formula is 70% waste. I gave my 1st dd water also. My 2nd Not until she was 6 months cause I BF her. I would give him the 4oz. Like for his feeding after his first morning feeding. That way he don't sleep to long and will take a longer nap in the afternoon. It has helped me getting my lo to sleep better. Now my toddler and my lo take good afternoon naps. So most days I get one too, lol !!!!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?