Weaning-pg114819553918

2 Replies
Damiens Mom - May 21

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks to wean baby from nursing to bottle feeding.

olivia - May 21

I know you won't find much written about it! My dd was bf until 7 months. She had never taken a bottle. One day I bought some formula and a bottle and she just took it and drank the whole thing. From there we alternated nursing with the bottle. We cut out a nursing session every few days. I got pregnant right away when weening so I think it helped me not get too engorged. First thing in the morning I would be the most full so the morning sessions were the last to cut out. Sometimes we would go every other morning. Now I have a little milk left for when she seems to need to nurse. Really it is once every 4 days or so. I am sure one of these days it will stop (she's 9 months today). Anyway, it is just a matter of doing it. There are no real tricks out there. Gradual works best for both but if you need to ween quickly you're going to get engorged and just have to get through it. Depending on how old your baby is they kinda lead the way. Make sure you have a fast enough bottle (stage 2 or 3 if your baby is over 5 months). We had trouble finding the right flow rate for her. Also, if you are weaning to expressed milk.. my dd did not take it from a bottle. She refused, but she did take the formula. I am not sure why but it is different for everyone. Good luck to you and your little one.

ash2 - May 21

well when my son was 2 1/2 months old i had to go back to work, so i increased the time limits for b___stfeeding. for example, i usually b___stfed him every 3 hours or so, so then i would pump and wait another 2 hours after that and feed him with a bottle. eventually i dried up, and he started drinking from his bottle only.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?