Blighted Ovum-pg120252428348

5 Replies
Amanda E - February 8

According to my LMP, I should be 10 weeks pregnant. But I had a sonogram last week that showed two gestational sacs but one was smaller. The bigger one measured 5w5d. I went back today and the bigger sac measured 6w5d and we detected a yolk sac and what the tech thought may be a fetal pole. The second sac was decreasing in size. My levels on Mon. were 46,000 which my Dr. said was high probably because there were 2 sacs. Today the Dr. pretty much said that they should have seen more and that I probably have a blighted ovum. I have had no bleeding or cramping. I have to go back next week for another u/s. She told me that if we do not see a heartbeat that basically that was it. I had a miscarriage last year. I have two healthy boys and two very healthy pregnancies with them. I am really scared to go through another miscarriage. I don't know if what they saw was normal or not? Could it be a blighted ovum? There was progression this week though. Any thoughts?

embryo - February 9

Amanda, A blighted ovum is where the sac develops, but the embryo does not develop. This is the reason that the first 50% of the first trimester pregnancies miscarry. Basically your body saw that the chromosomes were not normal and did not try to develop an embryo. Your body is very good a picking up on these signals and it knew the baby would not develop normally and therefore you have an "empty egg". Why? It could be because of abnormal cell division or the egg or sperm were not healthy. The next thing you have to ask is if you want a D&C. Most commonly, with an early pregnancy miscarriage your body can take care of things, but some women like the D&C to help with closure and also to help them get through it psychologically. Also, if you want a pathologist to exam the tissue to find out why the embryo never developed you would need to get a D&C. This is a choice that you have to make. Now, as far as if this is what you have? I can't say without seeing the US. I would trust your OB/GYN and let them make the determination. I know that this is not easy, but your doctor will take care of you. Also, not sure what you mean by "there was progression this week though". It is really hard to say if you have a blighted ovum without seeing the US. I hope that everything works out.

BeckyBunny - February 14

Seeing a fetal pole means it's NOT a blighted ovum - blighted ovum is just an empty sac. You might have twins, and just one was a blighted ovum - that happens sometimes. Twin pregnancies, blighted ovum or not, also produce high hcg levels. Unfortunately, all you can do is wait it out, but I would say that since the sac grew, at least the one should be ok. Good luck.

embryo - February 14

As I sad, it is hard to say anything without seeing the US. Being a radiologist who specializes in reading fetal US, all I can say is that you need to be patient and see what your doctor says. My hope is that you do NOT have a blighted ovum, take care.

embryo - February 14

I am also surprised that the tech would mention that, about the fetal pole. Nomally techs can only give general suggestions, because they cannot diagnose. As you can see, with the tech mentioning about the fetal pole, it has thrown in MUCH confusion. The US will be read by a board certified radiologist and again, my hope is that everything is ok.

tdo - February 15

Amanda, I wish you luck! I know how difficult this is. I was lucky enough to have a radiologist performing the u/s & always received my results immediately, although my OBGYN did go over them with me too. Is that the case with you. if not, wait to speak to you Dr.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?