Fibroids-pg111203672818

538 Replies
Carol - March 28

Does anyone have fibroids while being pregnant?

D - March 28

I have one. I went in my last appt, and the doc said my uterus was twice as big as it is supposed to be, and that we'd have to have an u/s to check for twins.... So, we checked.. No twins, just a fibroid. I can only guess how big it was because she didn't give me the measurements.... But, comparing it to the CRL of the baby, I think the fibroid is about 6 cm. It is, unfortunately, attached down near the bottom of my uterus, so we don't know if the baby will be able to get its head around it to deliver v____ally or not. I'm only 11 weeks, so she's wanting to monitor things and see how it goes.

Carol - March 28

I was told that I have a cluster of them which will probably result in me having a C-section because they are laying at the cervix. Also I'm having a lot of lower back pain. Is that normal?

D - March 28

I'm not having any pain.... seems like I read that someone else was somewhere on this forum... I can't remember where... At my appointment, my doc just kept saying, "I don't know if you'll be able to deliver or not..." after the fifth time she said it, I finally just said to her, "Yes, but thank goodness we have other ways of getting it out!" She started laughing, and said yes! I'm not excited about a c-section, but I can't say I am excited about labor either.... I suppose in ways, a c-section would be good, because that way she'd take the fibroids out at the same time, and I wouldn't have to have another procedure later - at least, that's my guess! Are yours growing? I'm concerned, because I've had 3 u/s prior to the one where she saw the fibroid, and it didn't show up in any of them. My first u/s was a couple months prior to being pregnant... I had been having some abnormal bleeding, and mild cramping midway between periods. It pretty much went away the month before I got pregnant. If it was so small they didn't see it back in November, or February, or early March, then its really gotten busy growing! That makes me worry how much bigger it could get! If I'm going to get as big as I would if I had twins, I'd rather just have twins! Too bad I didn't get a say in it.... :)

Carol - March 28

D- thanks for responding. Your right has long has a get the baby out I really shouldn't worry. I guess it's normal to worry when it's your first. I'm 8 weeks now and I know I have a long way to go. I really didn't have a problem with my period prior to getting pregnant, the fibroids showed up on the u/s when I saw the baby's heartbeat for the first time. My next appt is April 6th, so I'll ask more questions then.

D - March 28

My next appt is April 15... Probably my biggest concern is getting put on bed rest for a couple months later in the pregnancy.... This is my first to, so I go through phases of excitement, then terror!

Carol - March 28

I think if I can just get through the first trimester my nerves will be a lot better. Everything is so new right now and I don't know what's the norm. That's why I really like this site because it's so informative. My due date is November 6th. What's yours?

D - March 28

I'm due Oct 15.

jessica - March 31

hey gals!! i too have a fibroid- a big one -12 cm, so at 11 weeks my tummy is already bulging!! My ob said it shouldn't cause any problems, except i will definately nedd a c section.....and they cant take them out at delivery - to big of a chance of hemmoraging (dang!)........

D - March 31

Jessica - are you saying they can't remove the fibroids during a c-section? Oh goodness. Things just keep getting better! :-|

jessica - March 31

D- yeah, thats what they say..i thought that too- kill 2 birds with one stone theort, but apparently there is so much blood flow at the time of pregnancy in the uterus that it makes it too risky- 1 in 3 attempted end up turning into hysterectomies from excess bleeding.........that sucks eh?

D - April 1

Yes! It really stinks.... I am so tired of needing doctors these days! Everyone says your body starts falling apart at 30, well mine started at 29! I'm pushing 31 now, and have had more appointments than I can remember having in my life. Guess I shouldn't stress too much, this will only mean 3 or 4 more (I'm trying to be optimistic!)! The real point probably is that I don't have premature labor due to the fibroid and have my baby suffer.

jessica - April 5

yes, its lots of appointments isnn't it D?? The good news is that we got pregggers, and hopefully will have no premature deliveries!!!

Sandy - April 5

When I was pregant with my daughter my 18 week u/s showed a large (11-12cm) fibroid near my cervix. Yes, it was like twins - I called the fibroid the evil-twin! I had chronic back pain and pressure on my femoral nerve which caused tingling and pain down one leg. At 22 weeks I was hospitalised with severe abdominal pain - the fibroid was degenerating (it outgrows its blood supply) which doesn't actually mean it got smaller - it just stopped growing. I was OK after 3 days of painkillers and bedrest. I was told I would be having a c-section and not only that, it would be the 'cla__sical' caesar because the fibroid was in the place the cut is usually made for lower c-section. I was not impressed. At 35 weeks everything changed. My baby (who was a wriggler) managed to get her head down past the fibroid and it kind of popped up out of my pelvis. Delivery was normal but I needed help with contractions (a fibroid makes it more difficult for the uterus to contract so they augment labour with some drug). So, you might not need a c-section, but you may have a more difficult pregnancy than otherwise. Two years on and I'm expecting baby number 2. The fibroid is growing again (they usually shrink after giving birth) and I expect the same problems. I didn't want to risk a myomectomy before I'd had my family. Even a myomectomy can turn into a hysterectomy if the fibroid is big enough - there's always a risk of haemorhage. So good luck to us all.

D - April 6

Sandy - thanks for the hope. It gives me a little positive to focus on about this! I really try not to think about it too much. I have a great doctor who is on the medical teaching staff of some good size university teaching hospitals. I'm sure she will do everything she can also.

Sandy - April 6

By the way, I was told my baby would be 'twin-sized' and there was a risk of premature labour. She was 5 days overdue and 8lb 11oz!

D - April 6

Now that I think about it, sometimes in the night I have been waking up to my leg being asleep... I wonder if the fibroid is contributing to that. Sandy - that is healthy sized baby! Hopefully my baby will be too - so far my fibroid is smaller than yours was, but I'm only 12 weeks, so it has lots of time to grow!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion