Softening Of Cervix-pg113892915818

2 Replies
phorsha - February 2

i have a question.. i am 30 weeks and a few days pregnant, i was taken to the hospital last nite beause of some severe back ache i had been experiencing for 2 or 3 days. the doctor did a va___al exam and said that my cervix was really soft and the baby's head was very low and he was able to feel it through the cervix. he has now put me on bed rest and warned me not to do any walking at all. does anybody know what this means?? this is my first pregnancy and i'm a little bit confused about all of this! oh i was also diagnosed with diabetes at 14 weeks, could this have anything to do with that?

Lynne - February 3

The cervix starts to soften when you are getting close to labor. The cervix will soften and start to dialate. To reinforce the cervix you can have a procedure called a cerclage but this is usually not done after 24 weeks of gestation for fear of rupturing membranes and introducing infection. I was diagnosed with what is called an incompetent cervix and mine started to dialate at 24 weeks. I had a emergent cerclage placed but only lasted 3 days after that while on bedrest. Luckily you haven't dialated, just make sure you stay off your feet and you will be just fine. But remember, stay off your feet make sure you listen to your doctor on this. You only have a few weeks to go. You will be just fine. Congrats to you.

kimberly - February 3

Lynne is so right, take it easy, only get up if you have to. Your cervix should not be soft until about 36 or 37 weeks. It is good that you are not dialating. Just relax and try not to worry, babies born after 28 weeks usually do very well with a little extra help!!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion