I know that the last post to this thread was about a year and a half ago but I am going to leave my two cents here for anyone reading this in the future.
I am the captain of a woman's soccer team in a league that has players who range from beginners to semi-pro, moms just looking for a Sunday on the field, and others who just enjoy getting out their aggressions.
Over this past weekend I was away on a camping trip with my children so I missed an end-of-the-season make-up game. Upon returning and reviewing the game with my co-captain, I was absolutely shocked to hear that the opposing team had a player who is 4 months pregnant out there. My team refused to challenge her because of that, allowing her to score 6 unchallenged goals. I commend my team for their decision and common sense.
I know some of you are wondering, "What's the big deal, it's her baby and body." So below I am going to list several reasons why you should NOT play soccer when you are pregnant.
1. The baby. No matter how careful you and those around you are, accidents happen.
2. Would/could you forgive yourself and/or the person involved if it were to cause a miscarriage?
3. Why put us, the other players, in a situation where it could effect the rest of our lives for YOUR decision. I personally would not like to have something like accidentally killing another woman's (or mine for that matter) baby on my conscious just to play a soccer game.
4. Lawsuits. Yes, it can and will happen. Robbers injured during home invasions have sued their victims for less.
5. Common sense. We are mothers for a reason.
I have stated this to my league and now I am pa__sing it on to all of those out there considering playing while pregnant, "I would rather forfeit a game than play against a team who would chose a soccer game of a life of an innocent."