Folic Acid-pg117283988846

14 Replies
Belief - March 2

docs say to take at least 400 prior to conceiving. My prenatal has 800. Now my hubby and drs say that your body will "kick" out what it doesn't use, but is that really the case?

sososleepy - March 2

Hi Belief. Folic Acid, FDA pg category A. Yes, some folic acid (B9) is stored in body tissues, about half in our liver as folate, and the rest is we pee out as folate. It is involved in cell growth and division, formation of blood cells, protein metabolism, building of antibodies, (and reportedly prevents premature graying of hair!, also good for skin), helps prevent spina bifida, cleft palate and lip, other spinal cord and nervous system defects, and more, so it's important to have before and while pg. It's in green foods, liver, lentils, (fortified) cereals, tomato, oranges, and wheat germ, but when we cook the stuff it loses the folate rapidly, so taking extra before and during pg is important. Sunlight, cooking, sulphur drugs, and food processing destroy the folic acid in our foods (and/or our prenatal vitamins – so don’t cook them or try to give them a suntan lol, but also store them in a cool dark place.) Diethealthclub dot com states, “For a pregnant women and her developing foetus, folic acid is the single-most important nutrient…” 600 micrograms is the RDA for pg women, but the ‘do not exceed’ is 1000 micrograms (per day) and even with that there aren't really many side effects posted for women of child bearing age (some questions about too much for elderly if their B12 is low, and not suggested for ppl with permicious anaemia, which is B12 deficiency, or people with not well controlled epilepsy or for people with tumors that depend on folate to grow). Wikipedia mentions a study on memory and says that people taking 800 micrograms of folic acid daily had better "short-term memory, mental agility, and verbal fluency". Most sites state no side effects, a few mention that with high doses the following are possible: loose stools, flatulence, nausea, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, irritability, decreased appet_te, abdominal distention, bitter or bad taste. They are extremely rare, and a__sociated with very high doses, so I’m guessing 800 puts us above the RDA, but not too much in the higher 1000 range and I’ll keep taking it happily (gas or not, because heck, pg gives us the above side effects anyway…) as it’s so very necessary for a healthy baby (and my hair and nails are growing like crazy [big smile] with my prenatal vitamins which also have 800 micrograms of folic acid). Hope that helps.

stefkay - March 2

Hi Belief, it makes sense that you'd just excrete (ha ha, ok that sounded funny for some reason) the extra folic because it is a B vitamin and from what I understand B's are water soluble therefore it doesn't build up in the fatty tissue. Anyways, I don't think high doses are harmful mainly because for me I have a mutation on a gene that affects the metabolism of folic acid in my body. My dr has already started me on extra folic prepregnancy and I am to continue to take it through pregnancy. I was prescribed 5 mg a day...that's a LOT. I mean normally they suggest 800 mcg (micrograms--1000 equals 1 mg) for pregnant women. So my dr. wouldn't have prescribed it to me if it were going to hurt me. Although I don't know if it could hurt someone who is metabolizing it properly. Oh, and my prescrip prenatal has 1mg in it (1000mcg) and that is suggested for most people. I think you can only buy up to 800mcg over the counter...hope that helped!

stefkay - March 2

Oh, I meant to say that it makes sense about getting rid of the extra folic, but at the same time I don't know why my dr. would have me take so much if it's just to be "p__sed away"...lol

Belief - March 2

Thansk SOSOSLEEPY AND STEFKAY...all the info is very helpful. I must admit thougth SOSO...it is a lot to take in. You both sound so uptodate and knowledgeable; I feel a little out of the loop. LOL. So I was bumped early this week and thinking that since things are going our (my husband and I) way then maybe we should wait. Of course this morning I'm really ready to start again. This emotional rollercoaster of should we - shouldn't we is very frustrating. I just want one to stick. I got a bit frustrated over on the other site "General Pregnancy" b/c someone wanted to abort after an aminio if perhaps something was wrong. I tried to be diplomatic but then my emotions set in and it really frustrated me. Look at us over here trying to have a successful pregancy and YES we all want a healthy happy child, but if the baby were to have a disability I would still love it no matter what. AF just left town so I shouldn't be this emotional but it really burns me up with some people's selfishness.

Belief - March 2

I meant to say "I was bummed..." OOPS

Belief - March 2

since things aren't going our way. I should really proof before posting, eh?

sososleepy - March 2

Hi Belief. Sorry, I’ve spent 33 days using every spare moment to read up on mc, pg, ttc ect. Just skim through it for the part you were looking for… You’re not out of the loop; you’re just not as obsessed, which is probably a good thing. I wasn’t going to do this... but I have a problem: I say what I think, so… since you brought it up… before my mc, our doc said he wanted to do an amnio. Shock me. Because I’m OLD??? (since when is 38 old?) Right. Anyway, dh and I declined, then agreed to consider it, then went home and I guess that’s when I really started researching pg. I have 2: 11 and 12. When I was pg with them I didn’t have an internet to go get info fast on… I was young, carefree, and never thought about problems; they just popped out one day (ok, it hurt like ##((, but beyond that I didn’t think about the details.) As the days pa__sed I was really worried about the amnio, if I did it, and the results, and the decisions thereafter because my pg symptoms were going away fast and I thought something was wrong (wow was it.) Since I mc, it wasn’t a decision I had to face, and I never want to face it, but some of the things we were discussing, dh and I, included: how having a child with extreme problems would change the lives of the two we have and our lives, our ability to care for a child with very special needs as we both work full time and have to, the quality of life of said child, our insurance, which has a lifetime limit per person, so if the needs were very costly, and they often are, our ability to meet them, how meeting them would change what we can do for our other two, and so on. What if it was a situation where the child might or might not make it to birth, but couldn’t survive long thereafter… did we want to put all of us through that whole thing, waiting, not knowing when, labor and delivery, or hasten the agony as well as the trying to start over… We talked a lot, and I don’t remember all of it (would prefer to remember none of it). It was a very hard thing to think about and talk about. We decided to do the amnio, and decided to do a second one with a different person using a different lab if it came back bad. We also wanted a quad screen and to check the neck on a us at 11 weeks. We never did decide what to do, just that for us, it was better to know first and then see… I totally get that you’re burned up. I find it hard to go on the happy people threads too. I’m not sure what I was trying to say, but whatever it was there it is…

sososleepy - March 2

I think I wanted to discuss it because if (oh please!) I get pg again, he'll still want to do an amnio, and I'll still be faced with all the fears.... so opinions welcome....

stefkay - March 2

sososleepy, thank you so much for sharing that. It really made a lot of sense and it's cool to see a couple be able to come up with a joint decision like that. It sounds very well thought out. I had started thinking about those very things right before my m/c but blocked it out a lot due to the feeling that something was off. I started worrying when my dating came back much earlier than lmp and I too started TONS of research. I started hearing about intraueterine growth restriction, etc. and how that could be a sign of down's, amongst other things. Very scary stuff. And belief, don't worry too much about the vitamins, etc (I know, why do I say not to worry??? lol) but I think if it eases your mind see if you can get a prescription prenatal to cover all your bases and just start taking it NOW. Don't wait till pregnancy, that is what my dr. advises. Ok, I'm gonna read some posts and catch up!!!

Belief - March 2

Thanks girls. All inputs are welcomed and I learn so much from everyone here. I'm now reading up on baby aspirin. I'm fascinated with all the 'technical' stuff that goes into pregnacy. Too vague? I know...I reread it and it sounded silly to me to but I hope everyone knows what I mean. Both my good friends asked me not to do the aminio and my husband said to do what ever made me feel comfortable. He is supportive either way. Isn't it great to have great men in our lives! I'm only 33 so I'm not that far apart in age from you. Remember it's 2007 so the new "old" is technically 70, right? LOL....sometimes I say the weirdes things. It's Friday, I'm exhausted and can't wait until the weekend. Oh, my temp finally dropped so I'm feeling normal and ready to go again. Just thought I'd share that for some reason...

stefkay - March 2

I know! Isn't it funny how now having a temp drop can make us feel better? I know it doesn't feel good at the end of the tww any time, but that first AF and getting back on track is not fun. Now, I have to say don't get too engrossed in stuff on the web. My dr. told me it's just not good because you'll start to stress about all kinds of things...a lot of that info out there isn't accurate and she gave me some sites that are ok for info. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the Mayo Clinic.com. Well, everyone have a good day! I'm goin to the doctors...be back soon :-)

Anathi - March 6

Hi ladies sorry to budge in ur talk but I think I have found (partly)what I was looking for! I gave brth to a still born babygirl last yr Oct206 and simingly she stopped growing at 24 months and also had to induce due to pressure(preeclampsia) and was on trearment until BP was fine my gyn told me to ttc after 6 months and now I'm on 5th month. After my loss I got this forum as my psycologist (sorry about my sp) and was fine until this point in time. I am now starting from scratch now I havw a ? am I right by taking folic acid and fesox a pill per day until end April or tru out pg? Is it right to eat these while on bcontrol pills ? Plis help with advice!

stefkay - March 6

Hi Anathi, I am so so sorry for your loss...it is hard to start back again, but it helps. I am not sure what fesox is? As for folic acid, yes, you can take it while you take birth control pills. All women are recommended to take at least 400mcg of folic acid per day throughout pregnancy. I started taking mine before. I had a miscarriage in January and have been taking folic acid ever since and I plan to keep taking it daily until I hopefully one day have a baby! Ask any questions you may have...this whole forum is a good place to find information.

stefkay - March 7

Anathi, What has helped me is to use fertilityfriend. com because it will show you how to make a chart on there and if you track your temperature and a couple of other things on there it will automatically help show what day you ovulate (when you are fertile), etc. Most women ovulate mid-cycle. So if your regular cycle is around 28 days long, you would possibly ovulate around day 14. You count day 1 as the first day or regular red flow of your period. If you have any questions just ask!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?