MTHFR-pg116908500514

6 Replies
kim H. - January 17

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the middle of reading all of your answers and information. I'm so happy I found you all, I have tried reading about this abnormality on medical sites, but I'm not a doctor and I don't understand any of the medical garb. so I started looking for answers elsewhere. I'm 40 yrs old, my husband and I have been married for 18 years and just last year finally decided to have a baby (careers were more important to us when we were young). I was on the pill for 23 years, and was amazed that I got pregnant after 2 months of trying (using ovulation tests of course, when you've been with the same man for that many years, s_x just isn't as often as it used to be, HA HA). Anyway, the bad news is I quit feeling movement one day at the end of my 7th month (december 26th, 2006), went to the hospital and the ultrasound showed no heartbeat. they induced labor and I gave birth to a still born baby boy on december 28. The worst day of my life. my doctor sent my blood work away to be tested before I had my baby, and found out after delivery that the cause was not my fault, the cord was wrapped tightly around baby's neck and the cord was pinched off. I never thought about cord accidents. I was told by my doctor that this happens a lot in late term pregnancies, but very rarely happens again. I'm sorry, I should get back to my original question which is about MTHFR. My blood work came back 2 weeks after my loss and I went to see my ob and he said I have MTHFR homozygous 2 variant genes. he told me to just stay on my prenatal vitamins and start taking baby aspirin everyday, then I'll have to go on to 2 shots a day when I'm pregnant again (which I have decided to try). my question to anyone is, has anyone had a 3rd trimester loss with this abnormality? I can't stop thinking that I did this to my baby. if I just would have had this dna blood work earlier. And you are all heros to me, I thought I was strong to try for another pregnancy after my loss, but you women are so strong after so many miscarriages and you keep going, how do you all get through these losses? Is there anything I can do to help my next pregnancy be ok with this mutation, anything extra I can take due to my age or health? I also have high blood pressure when I'm pregnant, I'm sure that doesn't help anything. is there anyone out there who has gone through any of this at my age? well, thank you all for good reading and information. I hope you all have healthy happy babies soon.

CAROL - January 18

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. That must have been horrible for you and your husband. As for your question, I did not have a third trimester loss, but a second trimester loss, so it's not the same. I tested positive for having MTHFR herteozygous, the A and C type. They were sure that was what caused the baby to die, until they discovered she had Trisomy 18, a chromosomal disorder. Surely your doctor looked at the placenta after you delivered and from what I've read, often there are clots in it. If the problem you had was cord entanglement, I would believe it. There is another thread about MTHFR on here and I would read that. Many women have gone on to have healthy babies after their diagnosis. Many women have had multiple babies before disccovering they had MTHFR, so it seems to be a mutation that strikes indiscriminantly. Maybe ask your doctor about taking a high dose of folic acid, as that is also regularly prescribed to those who have MTHFR and they take this and the baby asprin for the rest of their lives. I hope you and your husband are soon blessed with a baby.

stefkay - January 18

Hi kim, I just moved over to this area from first trimester after finding out 2 days ago at what I thought was my 10th week, I had an u/s and the baby stopped growing at 6weeks. This is my 4th miscarriage and I have not had a successful pg yet. I am devastated, but because of my record the dr. finally sent me for a ton of tests genetics being one of them. Well, she called today and said all was normal so far (they will do further testing after the d&c--as my body isn't recognizeing it's over yet obviously and I can't continue to wait) EXCEPT she said that I have a mutation in ONE of the genes that metabolizes folic acid. I didn't understand most of the technical info she was telling me but she did say it was the MTHFR gene. When I saw this thread this morning I had to read it. I don't know what this is, but she said that I would need to take more folic acid next time along with vitamins B12 and B6. I am rather upset because I read about baby aspirin here from Carol just now. See, I was taking folic acid, B12 and B6 (along with other vitamins) and baby aspirin daily up to my bfp, then I stopped and started prenatals because I didn't want to take all this other stuff that I thought would be an overkill. Now I wish I had known and maybe everything would have been ok. CAROL, what is the baby aspirin for? I thought that was for clotting issues and my dr. tested for that and there weren't any problems there? I'm just trying to find out what is wrong right now and hoping for some answers. Thank you for sharing your experience. :-)

stefkay - January 18

kim, I'm sorry I forgot to ask, what 2 shots a day are you referring to that you will have to take when pregnant? I was only told I'd need to take more folic acid and vitamins b12 and b6, but she didn't say anything about shots or baby aspirin. Could someone explain this to me? I'm so worried and confused right now...

stefkay - January 18

I tried to read the other MTHFR thread, but it is sooooo long and it took ages to load. Hopefully this could be a new one that can provide some good info. I am new to this but want to see what is going to happen now...

Dylan - January 20

Kim, I am so very sorry to hear about your late loss and all you have gone through. I was fortunate enough to have a healthy pregnancy which resulted in a beautiful daughter 12 years ago after 2 early miscarriages. 10 years later I remarried and had 2 miscarriages. 1 at 11 weeks and 1 at 12 weeks. I could not put myself through it again so we gave up. Last year I was surprised to learn I was pregnant once again. Just when I thought things would be okay, I lost the baby at 13 weeks 5 days. After countless blood tests, I was diagnosed as being homozygous for A1298C MTHFR and some immune problems. I immediately started baby aspirin and Folgard. As soon as I got a positive pregnancy test I started Lovenox injections. I turned 43 this week and am now into my 28th week of pregnancy. I truly believe the medication is what has gotten me this far. Best of luck to you!!!! Dylan

stefkay - January 20

Dylan or anyone who could answer this question, I am really having a hard time of this and am getting more and more depressed. I don't even want to start searching the internet because it gets crazy addictive when I do that and just makes me more upset--anyways, what is the difference between homozygous and heterozygous MTHFR, and what are the different kinds that there are? All my dr. told me is that I have a mutation on ONE of the genes that metabolizes folic acid (or something to that effet) and then said it was the MTHFR gene--I really am not quoting her word for word because I was so freaked I didn't understand it all. She explained that there are 2 of every gene and I have the mutation on one, but not both. Can anyone tell me what kind I have then? Is it "better" (if that is the word, ha) to have the mutation on only one gene? Also, would I be having the recurrent miscarriages then because the father must be a carrier too? I am so confused to all of this...any help is so appreciated. Thank you in advance...

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?