Braxton Hicks Contractions-pg120398873165

30 Replies
QueenBeeMama - February 25

Is anyone else feeling these yet? I do several times a day, probably every couple hours. It's not painful but it is uncomfortable. I always have, through all my pregnancies, so it's not anything new, I was just wondering what everyone else was experiencing. I seem to feel it earlier and more often than others & what the "books" say. I wonder if this is why I had such short, intense labors with my two boys, even with my second child being 9 weeks premature?

mjvdec01 - February 25

Me too. I am 18 weeks 4 days pregnant with a little boy, and I have been having braxton hix contractions for the past 3 weeks or so. I don't remember feeling them this early with my first, or maybe I did and just didn't know what it was and didn't pay any attention. It just seems that with this pregnancy I am experiencing things a lot earlier than with my first pregnancy. How many weeks are you? Oh, and I am drinking water constanly so I know they aren't dehydration induced.

kolleen_caudillo - February 25

oh yeah i feel them too. im feeling the tightness but not any pain. i started feeling them about 4 weeks ago. sometimes it is uncomfortable. it also stops me in my tracks when im walking. its funny when im in a store with my husband and ill stop. he will look at me thinking that somethings wrong. no not yet i tell him.

ShoppingForTwo - February 25

Hey QueenBeeMama. I started having LOTS of BH at 17 weeks. I went to the ER and and found out that I had an infection, bacteria vaginosis (for the 2nd time this pregnancy) and was given antibotics and was told to stay hydrated. They died down tremendously and now at 21w5d I get a couple every few days. On another note, I also had a premature birth (16 weeks early) and my perinatologist has me receiving 17p shots weekly to try to prevent another premature birth. Are you taking those? Any precautions this time around? Just curious ;)

stefkay - February 26

Hi Amy! I'm glad you posted this...I've been getting them since like 16 weeks! My dr. said all is fine--I've called the nurse countless times about them and even told her I'm TERRIFIED of preterm labor. She told me she won't let that happen, lol...The nurse also told me that it is normal and good for the uterus and it's like it is toning and "getting ready" for the final event. She said she'd be more concerned if I didn't have them and also said that even if I had one an hour at this point she wouldn't be concerned. It happens a couple/few times a day for me.

stefkay - February 26

Oh, and I'll be 22 weeks this coming Friday.

stefkay - February 26

Shopping, when you were having lots of them, how often were you getting them? I told my dr. at my last visit that I'm terrified of having BV (or any infection for that matter) and she told me that if I didn't have any burning or itching accompanying a LOT of discharge (more so I guess than I'm already getting???) then I don't have to worry. She didn't swab me or anything and basically I wanted a test "just in case", but she wouldn't do it.....just wondered about your symptoms?

QueenBeeMama - February 26

Sorry, forgot to say that I was 19+weeks, and I also am really careful about getting plenty of fluids. I tend to get a lot more BH contractions & headaches if I'm not drinking enough water, so I try to get plenty every day, and avoid caffeine. But I still get them consistently, and I just wondered if there was a correlation between the amount of BH you have throughout pregnancy and how long your labor is. Doing an informal poll amongst other mothers, my girlfriends, their moms, etc. their did seem to be a link. Shopping, did you suspect an infection before going to the ER and discovering the BV? My water broke prematurely in my 2nd pregnancy, and that can sometimes happen with an undiscovered infection and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I should prob call & ask my dr office, I know that sometimes you don't experience symptons with some v____al infections.

cors1wfe - February 26

Amy - yes I have just started experiencing them - I usually just get about one good one and then nothing thank goodness. I am also having a lot of tugging pains and a sharp pain on my right side - I am sick of all this stretching that goes on ....I dont' remember it being so bad with my first but I did with my second.

Mari26me - February 26

What do braxton hicks contractions feel like? This is my first pregnancy, so I am not sure what the signs are.

Wow, this is tough to explain! I know that when I feel it it's an uncomfortable hardness in my abdomen, like if you've ever had a charley horse in your leg, and your muscle is tight and hard. I also feel like I'm a little breathless. It has a definite beginning and ending, like the ebb & flow of a wave, but it's not painful exactly. It's unmistakeable when I get them, I know it's not just baby movement or gas pain or cramping.

ShoppingForTwo - February 26

Hey guys. Stefkay, I really would like to know how your doctor's nurse will MAKE SURE you won't go into PTL?! Whats her secret, I wanna know if that's even possible. I know you can possibly STOP ptl if you catch it in time but I thought only 17p shots are proven somewhat effective in preventing it. I researched BV a lot after my daughter was born and I learned that I should be checked for it frequently with every future pregnancy as I have already a premature birth. My peri wouldn't check me so I went to my regular ob at 8 weeks, and surprise surprise I had it. Only symptom was tons of discharge which is normal. The second time at 17 weeks when I went to the ER I suspected that I had it (had a not so fresh smell down there. Not disgusting but not like flowers ya know?) and asked to be checked. I've realized that my dischagre is more yellow when I have BV. Its usually mostly clear during my pregnancies without BV. No burning or itching. A lot of people don't have symptoms. The doc at the ER told me that the medicine is only 80% effective, I'm not sure why, but I think because its so easy to throw off your v____a's PH balance. But anyways, she gave me 2 refills and said when I think I have it again to take it for 7 days. She said it could have been the BV that was cause so many BH (I had about 3 and hour) and I believe she was correct because I've had maybe 5 in the past 5 weeks. I've never even had a yeast infection so I was shocked to have encountered BV twice! I asked the doc what I could do to prevent it and she said nothing really and said there were studies on food and to cut back on sugar, cafeine, and to drink plenty of water. Stefkay why are you TERRIFIED of BV or PTL, I mean obviously I know WHY but you have never experienced either before right?

cors1wfe - February 26

STEF - Shopping - what is BV??? You guys lost me on that

cors1wfe - February 26

Shopping I think what the nurse meant is - I am here for you don't worry - but Stef let me know if I am way off. Shopping - I was sorry to read about your loss on another thread - I am glad things are going well for you

Hey ShoppingForTwo, thanks for that info, maybe I should get that checked out, I've noticed a more yellow color to my discharge, a stronger odor too, but not bad exactly, just stronger. I just figure it's due to pregnancy as there are no other symptoms, no burning, itching, etc. Better safe than sorry, I'll ask my dr office. My 2nd pregnancy my water broke at 28 weeks, but my body didn't go into labor until 31 weeks, so it gave my lo a little extra time to grow and get stronger. I was in the hospital for that time on strict bed rest. I'd had a subchorionic hematoma (a blood clot that forms between the placenta and the interior uterine wall) that had given us some heavy bleeding episodes and then a rupture at 11 weeks that just really weakened my placenta and all the bleeding irritated my uterus. This is why my dr believed my water broke early in the pregnancy. I did not have this problem in my first pregnancy, and also do not have it in this one, so the odds are good that I will not have a recurrence of premature labor. But, I am being monitored closely & am not doing anything strenuous, no s_x & no traveling after 24 weeks. I also will be getting a v____al ultrasound at 24 & 28 weeks to see if there is any indication that my cervix is changing/shortening - that can be an indication of possible imminent premature labor. What are 17p shots? I guess because of my last pregnancy I'm mostly concerned about infection or anything irritating my uterus.

ShoppingForTwo - February 26

Thanks Cors1. Wow, QueenBeeMama! Sounds like you have been through it!!!! I'm so happy that everything turned out wonderful for your family. 17p aka 17-hydroxy progestrone coprate. A shot taken weekly between weeks 16-36 to prevent pre term labor. (My peri wants me to take them weeks 14-34 and c section at 37 weeks) The shots are proven sucessful in women with incompetent cervix, pre term labor, and PROM (that's you QBmama). They aren't 100% effective but have a VERY high sucess rate. My doctor took tow pre cautions. I receive the shot and he also put a st_tch in my cervix at 13 weeks to keep it from dilating early. I know what you mean about the odor of the discharge being stronger but not stinky. They say its suppossed to be fishy and gross but I've never experienced it. Yah I would tell you to get checked. Better safe than sorry, they just swap you (down there) and look at the cells under the microscope. I actually got to see the cells on the slide, it was pretty interesting lol. I will be getting checked again this Friday, just to be safe. My peri checks my cervix and gives an u/s each visit so I know my baby, cervix, AF are all great. (Keep your fingers crossed) I quit working almost a month ago and am bascially just hang around and staying off my feet, lol. No s_x or traveling either. Your checks between 24-28 weeks will be VERY reasurring! Good luck, I'm sure we will all be fine.

stefkay - February 26

Shopping, LOL, no I have absolutely NO reason at all to be worried about either and I think that is why my dr. said it was not necessary to test for it (grrr), I'm just a paranoid freak ;) Each stage of this pregnancy I have found something else to worry about once I pa__s each milestone and it is rather draining to say the least. After so many losses, I don't think I can just enjoy this like I should...(sigh). I never had PTL, and I know the nurse can't STOP it, but she was saying it in joking way, as in, she'll keep an eye on me and not let anything slide, you know? I called her several times about the BH in tears that it might mean I was going to lose the baby and she basically "talked me down" so to say. She's a sweet lady and I know she can't stop something were it to happen, but basically if you have no history of preterm labor (uh, that sucks because then what do you have to do, lose a baby before they monitor you more closely???) they won't watch for it it seems. As for BV, i read about it a lot when I was doing miscarriage research during my losses. I told the dr. that i heard people don't have to have symptoms, but she looked at me with that "do you think you know more than me?" look, so I backed down, lol. Anyways, just wondered what your experience was...

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?