Breastfeeding-pg113622262018

5 Replies
Teagan - January 2

My mom told me yesterday that when I was younger the doctor recommended my mom to not br___tfeed and just put me on formula. Something about not being able to give me enough nurishment because I was a premi. Well Do you think that will happen with me cause Im really looking forward to trying it out and Im not sure if I will take after my mom or not. Has anyone else heard of this?

mama-beans - January 2

Times, they have changed. Our parents and grandparents were all fed this c___p.. "you can't provide enough". There was a formula REVOLUTION! Heck, in the 50's and early 60's it was almost UNHEARD of to b___stfeed.. although it was also somewhat common for mom to go in and be completely sedated and baby removed via forceps so Mom doesn't experience labor at all.. just wakes up to a baby. Unless you have a major medical concern, you can b___stfeed your baby completely. All women have the ability to produce milk, and since it is a supply and demand system, the more you nurse, the more milk you produce. Your mother could have fed you just fine, she just didn't have any support medically. Premies are hard, so it may have been easier to formula feed.. having a good latch is important, and depending on how premature you were, you might not have had one yet.. although there are remidies for that now. You will be fine. It is work, at first. It is hard, at first. Just keep with it, and by week 4 you should be much more comfortable, by week 12 should be just plain easy.

Teagan - January 2

Thank You

to Teagan - January 2

I think it's hilarious & sad how taboo b___stfeeding became for awhile there. It was all women have EVER done for centuries. All females of mammalian species have ever DONE! (We're called "mammals" for a reason, ya know!)

mama-beans - January 2

Well the medical comminity is never one to admit they were wrong. They just thought formula was SO much better for baby!! It wasn't until that generation grew up that accurate studies could be done on the effects, and opinions revised.

Prissanna - January 2

The best thing to do is try it and see. I b___stfed DD for 17 months with no problem. When she was 4.5 months, I lost both my grandparents in a car accident. My milk started to diminish and I got concerned that it was drying up because of my grief (which can happen). I called the lactation consultant and she advised to keep trying no matter what. Then if I didn't get back to normal, there were natural herbs she could recommend to help my milk come back. So even if you do happen to be like your Mom, there is still hope. Just keep in close contact with women who have breasfed and your lactation consultant.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?