Fifths Disease

24 Replies
pebblesnbambam - February 7

Anyone ever come into contact with someone with fifths disease while pregnant. My son got a note sent home with him from daycare saying that there were confirmed cases of fifths disease and if you are pregnant this can be very harmful for the baby. I am scared to death!!! There is nothing that they can do from what I understand.. but I still left a message with my OB nurse... anyone know more about this??

 

TamaraAngel - February 7

I had never heard of Fifths Disease so i looked it up online. If kids at your son's daycare have it, he is 60% likely to get it too and he is most contageous BEFORE any symptoms are visible, according to the site i went to. I think you should keep him home from daycare for a little bit in case there are other kids still contageous and be careful around him until you see if he caught it. Here's what the site said about pregnant women --- "Parvovirus B19 infection (Fifths Disease) during pregnancy may cause problems for the fetus. Some fetuses may develop severe anemia if the mother is infected while pregnant - especially if the infection occurs during the first half of the pregnancy. In some cases, this anemia is so severe that the fetus doesn't survive. Fortunately, about half of all pregnant women are immune from having had a previous infection with parvovirus. Serious problems occur in less than 5% of women who become infected during pregnancy." Hopefully, you have had this virus already maybe without even knowing it and you're immune! Hope this helps a bit...

 

pebblesnbambam - February 7

Thanks. IF he had it.. the red cheeks thing happend last week... so I and him have already been exposed to it. I am waiting for OB nurse to call me back. I know there are blood tests they can do and I am just PRAYING that I am immune!! Thanks for the information.. I am going to push for the blood work just to calm my fears.

 

bl - February 7

A girlfiend of mine caught it from her dd when she was pregnant. I think the dr just monitored her and the baby. I can't be sure, but I think they checked by u/s. She and the baby were just fine. She gave birth to a healthy boy!

 

JessC531 - February 7

Hi pebbles. I am dealing with this same problem right now. I was shocked to see your post, since usually nobody knows what I'm talking about! I am a 3rd grade teacher, and there is an epidemic of fifth's (technically called parvovirus) at my school. I have been removed from the school for several weeks now to avoid it. I saw a parinatoligist about it, so I have lots of info for you... Many people are immune because they've already had it once. They can do a simple blood test (and may already have with your first bloodwork) to see if you are immune. About 60% of adults have already had it, and don't need to worry. Unfortunately, I am not one of the lucky ones. So... if a pregnant women catches it, there is a chance the baby could catch it too. During weeks 13 - 20 (I believe) there is a 9% chance that the baby can't handle it and will get severe anemia. This could result in miscarriage. BUT there is a 91% chance that nothing will happen to the baby at all. And this is IF you aren't immune, AND you catch it, AND the baby gets it too. I'm waiting for my blood results to see if I caught it 2 weeks ago when I found out it was in my cla__sroom. If I did, I will have to have weekly ultrasounds to monitor the baby and make sure all is going well. The first thing I would do is find out if you are immune. You have a good chance that you won't have to worry about it at all. Good luck! Keep me posted... and stay positive! That's my new motto. :)

 

pebblesnbambam - February 7

Thanks to everyone and Jess for sharing. It is very scary but I agree..positive thoughts. I went in for blood work about an hour or so ago and she thought they would have the results either today or first thing tomorrow. I am sure hoping that I show that I am immune to it! When will you find out your results? Since I am 23 weeks along I know the complications if I do get it and if it does transfer to baby are not as bad if you are early on in pregnancy, but any risks, even the slight risks, to this precious baby are too high!! I will keep you posted and please let me know how things turn out for you!

 

JessC531 - February 7

I can't believe you're getting your results so fast!!! I have to wait a week for mine! And this is the 4th time they've checked me. Geez. I am so glad to hear you are past the 20 week mark. In studies, there is a 0% risk of death of the fetus after 20 weeks... so you shouldn't worry! I should get my results on Monday. I'll let you know...

 

pebblesnbambam - February 8

Great.. please let me know. I did not hear last night.. so the nurse said to call this morning to check on the results. I am nervous.. but need to find out for sure... then move on with what ever is next. Good luck to you and let me know!

 

pebblesnbambam - February 8

ARG.. the nurse who told me one day.. was wrong.. It is one week until I get the test results back.... BUGGER! So I will be waiting for a week to find out... THAT STINKS! I am hoping that since my son has not had the rash on his body that he has not got it and that I am not exposed to it. We'll find out in a week I guess.... Jess do you know what you are having... is this your first?? How far along are you?

 

TinaSos - February 8

May boss at work, whos son comes to work with her a couple of days a week for an hour had fifths. Could I get that from her or even him? I'm 19 weeks and now worried.

 

pebblesnbambam - February 9

If in doubt mention it to your doctor... they will decide whether to do the blood work. If you have been exposed.. in any way.. mention it. It is an airborn thing like the cold/flu... so you could have been exposed to it.

 

JessC531 - February 9

My results came back and they were negative!!! I did not catch fifths while in my cla__sroom with it! YAY! I am so happy I can't even put it into words. My baby is going to be ok!!! I'll do one more test in a few weeks, just to be extra safe, but I'm pretty much in the clear!!! Pebbles, I'm hoping the same for you. Let me know when you get the results!

 

jen327 - February 9

HI, my best friends 3 year old had fifths disease when she was 4 months pregnant. Her doctor told her most people have already been exposed when they were younger. it is like chicken pox once you get exposed your body is immune. So most likely you are fine, but I totally understand the worry. My g/f turned out to be fine and she was exposed directly from her daughter.

 

pebblesnbambam - February 15

Jess... that is soooo great!!! Haven't heard my results... so going to call since yesterday was one week since I had the test... Congrats... I am very happy for you!! I will let you know!

 

pebblesnbambam - February 15

Alicia.. I agree... Could you IMAGINE if we WERE all in the same room!!!!! Soo many women with soo many opinions and strong feelings... plus tons of hormones!!!! YIKES... Jerry Springer show would have NOTHING on us! :)

 

pebblesnbambam - February 15

Oops... I posted that on the wrong thread!!

 

pebblesnbambam - February 15

I just got a call from the doctor and I was exposed.. I am going in for an ultrasound tomorrow. .I am soo scared.. If it looks like it crossed over to baby they monitor and take baby early if needed.. I am soo scared right now!

 

ADD A COMMENT:


You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!


Already a member?
Please login below.





Forgot your password?
Need Help?