No To The Breast Help -pg114987424018

23 Replies
cmfqueens - June 9

Hello ladies I'm in need of some good information... I want to br___t feed my baby but I do not want the my baby on my br___t at all, not even once. I have a planned c-section due to complications. I want her to get the br___t milk but only want to pump. Can they give her formula in the hospital until I go home and get comfortable, and then I can pump and feed? I 'm brand new at this br___tfeeding, baby number one was bottle feed and she had a lot of ear infections and allergies and I feel that br___t milk would be better but I'm not at all comfortable with the baby feeding from the br___t. I just don't know what to do please help!!!!!!!! ?

iakram - June 9

Hi cmfqueens. Even though it's not my business but may I ask why you don't want the baby to feed from the b___st? Is it because of the all problems ie tearing/sore b___sts? I bf for only a month b/c i ended up with an infection and other complications but at that time i was pretty young and it didn't dawn upon me that i would be able to pump the milk out. but anyhow i think you can start pumping at the hospital - my sister's son did not latch on at all so for 12 months she pumped milk out and gave it to him. depends how determined you are it would have been more convenient to just bf but she couldn't. the pumping did take away a lot of her time, she'd pump like almost every two hours for 30 minutes it was unreal. would you not want to first try to bf on the b___st and then if it doesn't work then pump. you seem to know that it's the best milk but why the fear of putting her on?

sophandbob - June 9

Maybe you could just face your fear? If you do it once it might not be as bad as you think. If it is, then you can stop and go to formula. The thing is, the first 2 / 3 days worth of milk is the best stuff, it is the colstrum that you produce until the milk comes through that contain shed loads of antibodies for the baby that you need to give the baby, you will want to find some way of getting this to the baby rather than feed formula in the hospital. Have you spoke to the dr about your concerns and have they given you any constructive advice?

HannahBaby - June 9

I dont think that she has a fear, she just doesnt like the idea of a child hanging off of her b___st. Hi Crystal. They will give baby formula in the hosptial and then you can pump when you get home. Just make sure that you get a good pump (they are over 200$$) and make sure that this is something that you want to do because you cant return pumps, even if they are unopened and thats alot of money to waste. Ive heard its really hard to pump exclusively, so be sure that you do your research and are up for it

cmfqueens - June 9

Iakram & sophandbob...No fear in putting her on it's just not something that I'm comfortable with. I just plain do not like the idea of a baby sucking on my b___b. To me it's not ok and am actually very turned off by the whole idea. But do want her to have the milk. I just don't want to cop out and feed her formula so I'm looking for another idea. Erin did you b___st feed Hannah and are you gonna b___st feed this baby?

cmfqueens - June 9

I meant to say NOT comfortable.

cmfqueens - June 9

Well I also heard that you can freeze the milk and utilize that as well, so will I still have to pump as often? I will be home for about three months and then I will go back to work full time.

KellyO - June 9

cmfqueens - I fell the same way, I believe that people who b___stfeed are certian types of people. Not everyone is made out to b___stfeed. I think it is your own personal choice. I am not that kind of person I am a very private person and I would prefer to bottle feeding also. I wish you the best of luck!

iakram - June 9

hi cmfqueens - okay sounds like you know what you want to do and feel that it's best. i was just wondering that all :) yup even though my sister freezed her milk she was still pumping all the time. then when she got a bit behind on pumping her milk supply would go down. i'm sure you'd be able to do it with no problem but there is quite a bit of worked involved. but it depends on your milk supply as well. good luck :)

cmfqueens - June 9

Thanks for understanding KellyO... I put my two cents in on another post about b___stfeeding and how I felt about the actual b___st to mouth thing and I was totally attacked!!!!!!

CrystalH - June 9

Soph is right - the colostrum that you produce right after giving birth is extremely vital to your baby. If you only want to pump talk to your doctor about it and make a pumping plan for the hospital so that your baby gets the colostrum right after birth. If you really want your baby to get the health benefits from your milk then I would suggest you don't skip this time. I'm sure your doctor will help you make out a plan. Hospitals have pumps that they let mom's use. They will also feed your baby your milk if you specify this. Hospital staff is usually very helpful with this because they generally want to see mom's b___stfeed. My son had to go in the NICU when he was a week old and I refused to let them feed him any formula so I pumped at the hospital and they fed him only my b___st milk. They were very helpful and cooperative. Also, I was a bit turned off at the idea of b___stfeeding but once I tried it I just loved that time between my son and me. It's almost magical. The two of you bond so incredibly and it's such an incredible feeling of closeness that you have with your baby. To me, there was nothing else like it. That was some of the most precious time that I ever spent with my son when he was a baby. You may want to talk to someone about your fears and hesitations and you may want to try it. Like me, you may be pleasantly surprised and love b___stfeeding your baby! If not, I give you all the credit for wanting your baby to only get your milk. It's so important for them. Good luck to you!

cmfqueens - June 9

Thanks but please let me reiderate the no fear thing!!! I heard that if I try to pump out the colostrum I will only get a drop or two? Thats why I'm trying to figure this whole thing out and what to do?

HannahBaby - June 9

Hey chick i didnt breatfeed with hannah and am not with this one (just because im afraid of how hannah will react) Hannah was very healthy on formual so thats not an issue for me. I chose to not pump after alot of research. You have to pump VERY frequently and it can take up to 40 mins every session...I dont have that kind of time. Also, i was afraid to spend that much money on a pump then change my mind and be out all that money

cmfqueens - June 9

makes sense Erin... Like I said though I just wanted to make a better and wiser choice with this one because of all the problem I had with Angel. And plus I heard that the b___st milk reduces those problems. But it seems that I just keep running into to a dead end with actually have to place the kid on the b___b, and I do not want to be forced to do that. I was wondering if maybe she got some for like the first three months and then I could switch to formula? Or can I do half and half for the first three months? Everybody that I ask just goes back to the whole thing about putting the baby on the b___b and its such a bonding experience, blah, blah, blah.

cmfqueens - June 9

and like I said I might not mind pumping at first cause I'll be home by myself for most of the day anyway at least till around 3:00.

cmfqueens - June 9

Erin what kind of formula did you use with Hannah? Were you on WIC or did you purchase yourself?

sophandbob - June 9

I don't think the hospital or your dr will force you into it. And I am positive babies have survived ok without b___st milk, as some women just can't physically do it. My mum could only feed for me for 2 weeks, and it has not done me any harm at all! some people even argue that the best way for children to cope with illnesses is to have them, rather than have the jabs - they have pox parties and so on. You might feel guilty about not bf in the conventional way, but you sure as hell aren't just dismissing it and flatly refusing - you are investigating all possibilties, which makes you a star in itself, and it sounds as if ultimately you can't find a solution then you'll seriously consider it. When I said try it just once and overcome the fear, i didn't necessarily mean fear in the frightened sense (this makes sense to me, I know it sound muddled tho) as I had picked up from the other thread that it isn't something you like the idea of. The thing I was thinking of; before I got pregnant, the thought of feeling the baby moved REALLY frightened me, and completely freaked me out. I thought it sounded grim and very 'alien' (not that i see myself as a ms Weaver at all!), but now it is the thing I love most about being pregnant, and completely obsess over, as you may have picked up!! Maybe this could happen for you too. I plan on just giving everything a go, if I don't like it i'm gonna think of something different. Ultimately, don't beat yourself up over it, from what I have read of other posts you are obviously a fabulous mum already, and will be so to the new arrival too - whether your b___st feed, 'bottle' b___st feed, or use formula exclusively.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?