Smoking-pg117250714835

27 Replies
AshleyandAverysmom - February 26

Has anyone had trouble quitting smoking? I know this is totally taboo, but I'm really struggling, and want to quit

aliciavr6 - February 26

ME, But I'm down to 1 or 2 a day (ultra lights) sometimes none. I quit for the first trimester, then me and my bf had lots of problems, and started here and there, and going to stop again completely SOON.

krnj - February 26

Hi I quit cold turkey when I was pregnant with my son. It was very hard for me, especially since my husband was still smoking. I guess he got sick of me nagging so then he finally quit. I'm pregnant again with #2 and I'm really glad I quit and stuck to it. Best of luck!

lily10 - February 26

I smoked 1 or 2 cigs a day for the first few months. If your only smoking a couple a day I think that makes quiting much easier yet stil hard. I have a friend who smoked through her whole pregnancy (not much but she still smoked) and her baby was born 3 1/2 weeks early which may or may not be attributed to smoking and the baby had to be hospitalized with due to RSV and now may have asthma. I have no idea if any of these things would have happened if she didn't smoke they very well could have but I'm sure smoking didnt help. That is pretty much what made me quit right then and there. I would feel so guilty if something happened to my little girl and perhaps smoking may have attributed to it. Good luck with quitting!! I think that it is something you have to make yourself do. The first week is hard but believe me it gets so much easier.

Thank you all for your input, I quit with my previous pregnancies with no problem. Why this one is so hard I'll never know! The guilt is killing me. Just knowing that I could be putting my own child at risk is horrible. I almost didnt post this question but I thought , surely I cant be the only person struggling with this! Thanks again for your support!

Tammy276 - February 26

When I was preggo w/ my son, it was so easy for me to cut way back........I smoked one cig. every 3 or 4 days....so like 2 a week, sometimes only 1.....this time around, I am currently 36 weeks and still smoking.. I cut down to 3 smokes or less a day (sometimes more if I'm having a really stressful day)... I don't let people get to me about it either. My doctor doesn't have any concerns and knows that I am smoking, so I don't have any concerns either. My doctor told me if you can't quit, to cut back and sometimes quitting cold turkey while you are pregnant isn't good either because of the stress it puts you through. Studies show that when you are smoking more than 1/2 pack a day is when there are complications. so, if you can't quit, cut back. I cut back a lot in the first trimester because I was so sick, but then when I started feeling better, I started smoking more...silly me.

tammy..thank you so much for your honesty. I cant only smoke 1 or two so Im going to go for the cold turkey like I did with the others.

JessC531 - February 26

If you quit for your other pregnancies, why did you start again? Once you got that hard part over with, why make yourself go through it again? I used to be a smoker, and when I quit (years ago) I did it cold turkey. It was hard, but it was the only way that worked for me. I'd say 2 weeks were hell, and then it started getting better. Have lots of hard candies with you to suck on... That helped me a lot. And be prepared to be b___hy. :) And once you quit, please keep it that way! You're worried about your child's health, but you should be worried about your own as well. My mother-in-law recently pa__sed away of lung cancer caused by smoking. She was ONLY 44. I've heard so many people say they'll quit eventually, but you just never know when that will be. Your children will want you to be there for their high school graduations, not just their births! Good luck!

JessC531 your absoulutly right, and being a previous smoker yourself you know that it had to be your decsion and your timing. Thats why i posted today. I needed to hear feedback from people who've been in my shoes and could relate. thank you for your response.

Allisonc79 - February 27

I was a smoker for 13 years 1/2 pack a day religiously. I tried to cut down, that did not work. I would cut down and then smoke more then cut down. You never quite lose that withdraw when you cut down. So I just quit cold turkey two months before I got pregnant. I still crave that feeling every now and then, but as they say once and addict always one, and you are always a risk factor for starting back up. You just have to keep with the concept of never take another puff!

JolieLucker - February 27

thats why i was saying my morning sickness was a "blessing" in a way hahaha, i know if i didnt get as sick as i did..... i would've had such a hard time quitting. but since it was so bad the thought or the smell of a cigarette made me sooooo sick.. good luck mommas

MNMOM - February 27

does it help to remember that YOU have a choice to smoke or not, but the baby does not have a choice??? Did any of you consider quitting BEFORE you got yourselves pregnant? I wish you all great strength with this!

AshleyandAverysmom - February 28

I really appriciate all the feedback..good and bad. Let me just state for the record that Of course I know I have a choice, of course I know its bad for me and the baby, and of course the smart thing would have been to never have picked up the first one. We have all made various mistakes in our life and very rarely do we post them on a website. Encouraging words are helpful as the helpful hints. Put downs are not. To those with the encouraging words I thank You to the others I say "If you cant say something nice, try not to say anything at all"

lily10 - February 28

Maybe if we planned to get ourselves pregnant or we were actively TTC we would have quit smoking ahead of time. Right now the issue at hand is not whether we quit before becoming pregnant but how to successfully quit at this time.

suze42 - February 28

ashleyavery, take the "negative" with a grain of salt. Most of us really want to support one another in a positive way. You obviously care enuf to want to quite/change...that a good mother makes!!

AshleyandAverysmom - February 28

Thanks...Your support is very helpful. I had a hard time posting this question, even though we dont know each other, it was a huge step for me to admit this problem. I have not smoked today which is great, I will take this one minute at a time. Thanks again!

MNMOM - February 28

for the record, I was actually being positive. I was just posing the question because it seems to me that you would have quit before you had a chance to even become pregnant so that you wouldn't be in this position. Seems like you are all trying and making progress, that is what is important. Maybe your doctor can help also if you talk to them.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion