Does Anyone Know -pg110865506818

6 Replies
MandyD - February 17

Does anyone know if progesterone pills can harm a fetus if you are in fact pregnant while you take them???

tiffani - February 17

Not sure, but a girlfriend of mine had to take progesterone for the first 3 months because her body didn't make enough to support a pregnancy on its own. So.... I think if your doctor prescribed them knowing you were pregnant, then you need them to sustain your pregnancy.

MandyD to Tiffani - February 17

When I read the warnings/precautions of taking the meds (Prometrium) one of them says "Do not take if pregnant"...but I read on another website that that same drug is used in some instances to prevent miscarriage or help with pregnancy. It doesn't make sense that it helps with that, but says don't take if pregnant. She didn't give me any hint as to whether she thought I was pregnant or not, but I imagine she wouldn't have prescribed that drug if she knew I was....would she? It's so confusing!!!

tiffani - February 17

Maybe the warnings are directed at women who don't need supplemental pregesterone during their pregnancy, and therefore would be "overdosing" on it if they added extra to their own healthy supply. If you are or suspect you are pregnant, your doctor needs to know this so she can treat you accordingly.

MandyD - February 17

Thanks tiffani...that makes sense. She knows that I thought I was pregnant...I haven't had a period since Nov. though, so she wasn't really sure what was going on, and my urine test was neg. I haven't gotten my blood test results back yet...its been almost a week! She had the LabCorp ppl test for thyroid problems, pregnancy, some other hormone that comes from the pituitary gland, and rubella - which she did say was something they want all women who are pregnant or may become pregnant to be tested for. So, I don't know if she thinks there's a possibility that I am pg or not. I still have symptoms, not subsiding, but getting more and more each day. I just don't know what to think.

tiffani - February 17

I think you need your blood test results, how much longer will it take to get them? Pregnancy symptoms are always encouraging. In the meantime, why not call her and give her the hypothetical situation of you being pregnant and on Prometrium. What would happen if you stopped taking them?

MandyD - February 17

Well, I finally called the drs office this afternoon, and they have my results, but they can't release them to me until my dr signs off on them...whatever! So, they said they'd get her to sign off on them, and then they'd call me back. It's after 5:00 now, so I guess it will be tomorrow til I know something....grrr!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?