Miscarriage -pg111712563518

7 Replies
jackie - May 26

I have a question regarding miscarriage - I was a week late with AF, took 2 hpt's and got two faint positives (on two different days). Then on the 3rd day I got a negative, and the following day AF started (when I was a week overdue). Is this a miscarriage? Is it a chemical pregnancy? From what I read about chemical pregnancies, you usually get AF at the usual time - not late. If it is a miscarriage - what do I do? Do I need to see my doctor? Can I try ttc again immediately? Thanks!

erica - May 26

Have you taken another test to make sure it's negative. There's times that you bleed when you are pregnant. Take another test to make sure. And no you don't need to see the doctor. If you were pregnant it was an early miscarriage. And yes you can ttc immediately. God Bless you.

amy - May 26

well i had am/c 3 wks ago and i tested positive sunday monring and when i had to go back to dr andhe said my levels went down and i would m/c so i came home and to another hpt and it was neg and atarted to bleed then next day hope this helps a little sorry

jackie - May 26

Thanks for your help ladies. Erica - good point about taking another test. Does anyone know how common these early miscarriages are? Any idea what causes them? Is it something fairly common or should I have need for concern? Thanks again!

Melanie - May 26

Jackie - I had a miscarriage in December and again in March. The fisrt was more developed, but the second very closely matches your description. It sounds quite likely that it was an early miscarriage, which is very common, as I have learned in the past several months. At that early stage the m/c feels pretty much just like a regular period. A concern with m/c at a later stage is to be sure that your body flushes out all of the tissue, as an infection can result if some is left behind. Here's a little blurb that might help: HOW COMMON IS MISCARRIAGE? — Miscarriage in early pregnancy is very common. Studies show that about 10 to 20 percent of women who know they are pregnant have a miscarriage some time before 20 weeks of pregnancy; 80 percent of these occur in the first 12 weeks. But the actual rate of miscarriage is even higher since many women have very early miscarriages without ever realizing that they are pregnant. One study that followed women's hormone levels every day in order to detect very early pregnancy found a total pregnancy loss rate of 31 percent. WHAT CAUSES MISCARRIAGE? — Many different factors can lead to miscarriage, and it is difficult to say with certainty what causes a particular miscarriage to occur. We do know that some kind of problem with the pregnancy can be found in a significant percentage of early miscarriages. For example, in 1/3 of miscarriages occurring before 8 weeks, there is a pregnancy sac but no embryo inside. This means the egg was fertilized and the cells began to divide, but an embryo did not develop. In other cases, the embryo develops but it is abnormal. Chromosomal abnormalities, in particular, are common. One study found that of 8,841 miscarriages, 41 percent had chromosomal abnormalities. In some cases, medical conditions in the mother, such as uncontrolled diabetes, or structural problems in the reproductive tract, such as uterine fibroids, can lead to miscarriage. On the scientific side, pregnancy is an amazing process and it is surprising how often it does work out right. On the emotional side, miscarriage affects everyone a little differently and can be quite difficult. I wish you all the best.

Melanie - May 26

Oh - I should mention that chromosomal abnormalities just refers to the chance bad cell division, that sort of thing. This site has a good description: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27561.asp

jackie - May 27

Thank you Melanie!!! This is incredibly helpful and encouraging. As sad as it is, it's good to know that I still have lots of hope! :)

Jessica - May 27

With any positive preg test you need to contact your doctor. it is possible that you are still preg and getting your period. There are cases that some women have periods straight through their pregnancy

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?