Montgomery Tubercles-pg110230428555

17 Replies
rosey - December 5

Is it possible to have Montgomery tubercles with out being pregnant? and never having given birth b4? I was just wondering

m - December 6

I would like to know this answer too

rosey - December 6

anyone?

Beth - December 6

I am wondering the same thing... wish someone would answer. I started getting them with darkening nipples last week. Then got my period on Saturday. Really thought I was pregnant. Still have the bumps and darkening on nipples so I'm confused.

rosey - December 6

Beth- yeah i have the darkening of nipples too and there o so sore....hopefully someone will help us out!!!

rosey - December 6

o and i can see all these veins in my nipples...is that normal?!? Does anyone else have that?

zuly - December 6

Yes it is possible.Montgomery's tubercles are embedded in the skin and adjoin the shafts of your body hair. They too churn out an oily substance called sebum, which normally travels up your hair follicles and empties out onto your skin. Sometimes, sebum can't reach its destination because your hair follicles are clogged by bacteria or dead skin cells. When this happens, sebum, dead cells, bacteria, and pus get trapped inside your skin and cause acne The white discharge that you see is either ordinary sebum or a combination of sebum, dead cells, and pus --- the same goo that you'd find in any pimple or clogged pore. You should resist the temptation to pick at or squeeze pimples whether on your nipples or elsewhere. Left alone, your skin will either push the blockage out or absorb it, naturally eliminating any temporary buildup or blemish.

w - December 6

Zuly, so montomery tubercles could happen just randomly for no reason? cause like most women on this posting, I never had it until recently.

Grandpa Viv - December 6

from forums.obgyn.net "Montgomery's tubercles are usually white. As with everything, I suspect that one can have MT's without being pregnant, but most will be pregnant." from ivillage.co.uk "Montgomery's tubercles The prominent gland openings within the areola of the b___st, which usually occurs in early pregnancy. " from www.medhelp.org "Montgomery's tubercles are the glands within the areola of the b___st that are stimulated by the hormonal environment of pregnancy and give the areola a bumpy appearance and/or feel. They can occur anywhere on the areola."

zuly - December 6

Grandpa Viv is right good Advice.

mrsgreeneyes - December 13

Hello all...just want to say that I am proof that you can have these and not be pregnant. Although I am pregnant now, I have been getting these since I was a teenager. They are even more prominant now that I am pregnant. The head sometimes becomes white and enlarged and looks as if it needs to be relieved and most of the time, I do. It gives me a peice of mind finding out that they are normal and sometimes necessary to protect against bacterias and infections. I became very self concious when my husband asked me what they were and exclamed that he had never seen them before in his life! Not to worry...you're not alone and they are normal!!!

mrsgreeneyes - December 13

Oh, one more thing...I did however read an article regarding a lady who what in her 40's and had abnormal discharge such as blood from the MT's. Some are sweat glands and some are connected deeply to the mammory glands. In this womans case, the blood was because of cancer. I feel it is important for everyone to be aware of this and now I will be watching out for any out of "my ordinary" discharge. In addition I read about a study where these were occuring in young girls around the age of 14 but after about 3-4 months, they went away. I am worried about the fact that I have had them for so long and am considering really having them looked at after I have this baby!

Maireth - April 17

I'm ~10 DPO right now and in the last day or so I've noticed my areola's changing. I'm a large girl with a very large chest and large areolas. I've had visible areola bumps for awhile but only when the nipple was stimulated. If it was flat it was *all flat*. But now even when it's flat I have what looks like pimples on my entire areola and both are very sore. The bumps didn't look like pimples before but more like mini nipples. Now they are whiteheaded when everything is flat and when stimulated they bunch up somewhat like before but not entirely. Thoughts? Dare I get my hopes up? :) (9 months TTC)

tracielee - April 17

hi ladies, there is nothing to worry about. i started getting them when i was a teenager and have had them ever since. Resist the urge to squeeze them as the skin of the areola is really sensitive. I would recommend asking your gyno to take a look at them at your next appt if you are really worried, however, i've had them for over 10 years and never a problem. Like Greeneyes said, if they discharge blood it could be a sign of a problem so if that's the case then get them checked... but if not, just forget about 'em.. it just life and hormones! the female body is complex and many times does strange things! :o) Good luck to all of you. Tons of Baby dust!!! :o)

tracielee - April 17

Maireth, could be a pregnany sign!!! Good Luck!! But also could be a flux in hormones. It doesn't guarantee pregnancy, but if you are 10dpo, perhaps you are preggos...

TDL33 - February 10

I am 33, my last and final child was born 3 months ago and I have had a Tubal ligation, so there is no chance of being pregnant or having children in the future. I also have, what I believe is clogged Montgomery tubercles. I have been trying to find a treatment (no insurance) to treat myself. I have been reading that is normal, and that may be true for someone who is pregnant, but I am not. The problem is that I hate the way it looks and want it to go away. Is there a way to reduce the size or unclog them? I have a few of them and they (as someone described above) look like a mini-nipple. They do not hurt and they do produce a thick, white fluid. I have had them since my son was born 3 years ago. So my hopes of them just going away are slowly diminishing. Any suggestions?

TDL33 - February 10

Correction to my question above - My son was born 3 years ago, not 3 months ago.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?