Pregnant On Birth Control -pg114675962118

51 Replies
hazel - May 4

Also, has anyone gotten pregnant while taking some form of birth control? I know it is unusual, but I personally know 2 people who have, and I was wondering if anyone here has. i think I may be..

Lin - May 4

If you seek them, you will find them, but that won't make them any more common. If you ask only for those people who HAVE gotten pregnant on birth control, you are necessarily getting a biased sample. Why not ask how many people haven't as well? Regardless of who answers, it's still less than a 1% likelihood. That is for those who take their pills properly, of course, It is not realistic for women who skip pills to say that they got pregnant on the pill, though, because they weren't really on the pill if they were skipping them.

hazel - May 4

Ok, thanks! I was just curious if anybody had. I know the likelihood is verrrrry slim.

Emma2 - May 4

With near perfect use the chances are extremely slim.....I personally have never met anyone who has gotten pregnant on the pill and I myself have taken it for years and missed a few here and there and it still never got me pregnant......Like Lin said, if you seek them you will find them but out of 100 only 1 will get pregnant within a certain amount of time.

Lin - May 4

I took the pill for around 15 years and missed pills here and there all the time, and I never ended up pregnant.

hazel - May 4

ok thanks, I feel a bit better

nicksmmy - May 4

Hazel: have you been on antibiotics. i got pg while on the pill, because I took antibiotics...what makes you think you are pg. by the way I was on the pill for 6 year before I did get pg, and now I have a 4 year old, and am trying again. i always joke i should go on bc and then on antibiotics and maybe i will get pg again. good luck

Lin - May 4

You know, I bet you'd almost never hear women say that they got pregnant "on the pill" if they actually only said that when they 1) were taking it properly and 2) weren't taking antibiotics. In all reality, if 1 and 2 don't both apply, then you're not really "on the pill" - you're just having unprotected s_x.

nicksmmy - May 4

Lin that may be technically true, however I was on the pill for 6 year and took antibiotics quite often and never had gotten pg before. I was just asking a question to see if that was maybe a possibility.....

Lin - May 4

I know. I wasn't trying to disregard what you were saying. In all reality, though, you were probably just lucky not getting pregnant the other times. Or perhaps the antibiotics you took previously weren't strong enough to stop the pill from preventing ovulation, and the ones the time you got pregnant were. The thing is, everyone's physiology is different (as are different antibiotics), so there is not set rule as to whether or not antibiotics will really and truly interact in a negating way with the pill, so it's always best to a__sume it does and use alternate protection.

Emma2 - May 4

well , From what I understand and read is that antibiotics MAY interfere with BC ..

Lin - May 4

That's right.

stephannpruitt - May 4

I got pregnant in January while taking the pill. I NEVER skipped or missed pills or was taking any form of medication (antibiotics included) So YES it is possible to get pregnant on the pill, my mother got pregnant at the age of 42 while on the Depo shot which yes i know sounds crazy, but i have a 6 year old brother to prove it. Our family practice doctor calls us fertile myrtles. So as slim as the chance may be it can happen, nothing is 100%. Unfortunately my pregnancy ended because it was ectopic and we are trying again. So hopefully i will continue to be fertile even with one tube :)

hazel - May 4

stephannpruitt : did you take all your pills on time before you got pregnant in January? How soon did you find out you were pregnant while on the pill? I'm sorry about your m/c!

stephannpruitt - May 5

Yes I took all of my pills on time that is why it was so unexpected. When i didn't start my period and it was time to take the new pack i called my doctor and she had me come in(I had already tested negative twice). At the office she didn't even bother to test because I had tested negative the day before on a HPT, she gave me some progesterone and a__sumed that i had't ovulated that month which when you think about it it doesn't make sense since i was on the pill. Any way I didn't take it because I thought well if i'm not pregnant there is no reason to try to jump start bleeding right away, so i thought i would wait a few more days to test. Well I tested the next morning and wala positive. So technically speaking on the birthcontrol terms i didn't get my positive until 9 days late. So anyway just to give you some advice from a woman who was taking her pill religiously, YOU CAN GET PREGNANT ON THE PILL:) Good luck keep me posted

hazel - May 5

Oh wow, that's crazy! Did you have any symptoms, or were they just PMS-like?

hazel - May 5

Oh, I'm not on any antibiotics either

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?