Ovulation 101

18 Replies
Audrey - June 16

Since my post "Sperm 101" has gotten so much attention now I'll talk about the flip side. When a girl reaches puberty, her ovaries begin to produce eggs (ova) at rate of one a month. Once in a while there might be a month with no egg, or in rare cases there might be two. There is a limited supply, the average woman produces about 490 eggs during her fertile years. During a regular 28 day cycle, an egg is released (ovulation) on approximately Day 14. A lot of women actually feel this happen, as a slight cramp on one side of the abdomen that goes away in a few hours. The egg will be viable for 12 to 24 hours before dying. If any sperm happen to be inside the woman's reproductive tract at this time, the chances of fertilization are 1 in 4 or 25%. Days 9 to 16 of the cycle are often referred to as the "fertile zone" because although ovulation happens at Day 14, sperm can live for 3 to 5 days or longer inside the woman's body. So if you have unprotected s_x on Day 9, the sperm might be still around by Day 14 waiting to catch the egg. A fertilized egg takes between four and seven days to travel to the uterus and implant itself, often causing a little bleeding that can be mistaken for a period. If the egg is not fertilized it dies.

Bump - June 17

Reba - June 18

This is a__suming that every woman has exactly a 28day cycle and every woman ovulates exacty on day 14. Which Rarely happens. It is a good idea to get aquanted with your body. Don't rely on "i can't get pregnant I'm only on day 7 of my cycle" Or "I can't get pregant because I'm on day 23 of my cycle" You can ovulate at anytime and you won't know it unless you are aquanted with YOUR body. This means keeping tract of your periods, checking your Cervical Mucus, Cervical Positioning and temperature and also keeping tract of your secondary signs of fertility...that crampyness mentioned above, or maybe your skin is sensitive around ovulation. A good indicator too is woman tend to be more h__y close to ovulation. The information above is okay...ONLY if you have a predictable 28day cycle....that means you can set your watch by it.

Bump - June 18

--- - June 21

Bringing this back to the top.

- June 21

Thanks Audrey

Bump - June 23

Bumping this up.

Bump - July 1

Bump - July 2

~*~C~*~ - July 5

Great Post Audrey, this is good info

Bump - July 7

Bumpy Bump Bump - July 9

Bumpy Bump Bump

To Manderz - July 9

If your periods are that irregular (and you're having s_x) you should be on birth control. I was initially prescribed birth control as a teenager because my periods were so irregular and heavy. The pill kind of forces your body into a regular cycle. It will also, in your case, help you stop worrying about whether or not you're pregnant, and you won't have to waste your money on htp's anymore. just my two cents :-)

... - July 15

Move it on up.

anna - July 15

no ...your body produces eggs everyday from birth. its when you get your period they become fertil. some girls fertil days are longer than day 14 mine was day 16. everyones period is different.and the whole on a rare case you produce 2....if your talking about twins or multiple births your wrong the one egg that is empanted seperates into 2 which then you get twins (trust me im a idenical twin).

Audrey - July 15

Anna- I'm sorry but you are incorrect. An egg is produced once a month from the onset of puberty until menopause. It's true that identical twins are caused by one egg that separates into two, but in rare cases there are two separate eggs released, as happens when you get fraternal twins.

to anna - July 16

if you produce eggs from the day you are born then what happens to them every month? as if they arent fertilised thats what causes a period! audrey is right on everything she said-i think you will find!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?