Cord Blood-pg113259698518

2 Replies
Amber - November 21

I was just curious whos going to be saving their cord blood. I know that it CAN be worth it, but how many people are doing it, or have done it? Is it pricy?

J - November 21

I looked into that and found out that there are PUBLIC and PRIVATE banks. Thru the Red Cross )a public one) you can donate your cord blood and it's free. In return, if ever you need cord blood for some can go to Red Cross for FREE and get some of your's (if it hasn't been used up or get from someone else's) so, I think that's a WAAAY better deal than those private cord blood banks that charge you an arm and a leg. The only downfall with the Red Cross is that they are just starting to do this so they don't have a lot of pick up places and they don't give you a kit to send in like the private banks do. But, it's worth looking into. I was sad to find out that there are no pick-up locations around where I live.

Jean - November 21

I had a conversation with a genetic counselor about it. This is what she said, "It is VERY expensive, and CURRENTLY: the stem cells can only be used for stem cell transplants in children (the volume is not enough for adults). And the number of diseases that stem cells have the potential to treat is really small (rare genetic disorders, and blood cancers like leukemia mostly). I read something that said 0.04% of children have an illness that warrants a stem cell transplant. The only time i ever bring it up to families is if there is a known genetic condition...such as a sibling with sickle cell disease. Theoretically in the future, there will be many more conditions that we can treat with umbilical cord blood but who knows how long that will take, and most of those conditions are conditions in adulthood, and cord blood may still be too small in volume for adult size idividuals. The other downside is that there really isnt great FDA regulation of privately owned cord blood storage companies That being said, I definitely support cord blood DONATION. The blood goes into a national registry and will potentially be available to one of the many kids out there who do have a rare condition or cancer treatable with a transplant. And, in some cases, if a family donates, but later is in need of the cord blood, it may be availabe- although that is unlikely. Its really know different than donating blood to the red cross but its far more valuable."

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion