Evening Primrose Oil-pg116969116080

2 Replies
DDT - January 24

I am 36w4d pregnant and was told that Evening Primrose oil is a natural way to soften the cervix. I am not trying to induce labour but rather help things along in anyway I can. I realise that it very may well be totally pointless taking these pills but I can't see it doing any harm either. I have searched for info on the web but was wondering if anyone had anything to say about using Evening Primrose. I have also seen a mixture of responses on how much to take. I was planning on taking 2 capsules once a day until I hit 38wks and then up it to 3-4capsules a day. Also, is anyone using it themselves or have heard of someone who has?

BklynMama - January 28

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation. This is because Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can cause uterine contractions in pregnancy. The dosage taken should be 1500mg to 3000mg per day. Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of Evening Primrose Oil or EPO after ovulation. This may be taken throughout pregnancy as well.

DDT - January 28

Thanks for the info BklynMama. I decided not to take EPO. But out of curiousity from what you have said I thought EPO was known NOT to start labour but rather soften the cervix.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?