Maternity Leave-pg113673526718

55 Replies
Cheryl - January 8

I was just wondering if everyone had set a date for when they are leaving to go on maternity leave and for how long? I'm due April 4 and since where I live in Manitoba we get 52 weeks I think I'm going to leave around March 6. Just to give myself lots of time at home before the baby comes. This will be my first child. Some of my friends think I'm nuts leaving a month early, but as most of you woman experince, I'm not sleeping very well and I'm get very tired from work. So I think I would enjoy some extra time at home getting things ready and pampering myself before the big day.

Jeanan - January 8

I only get 6 to 8 weeks after the baby is born but I haven't figured out when I am going to take mine..depending on how I feel I will probably give my self 1 to 2 weeks before my due date which is feb. 23rd

Jilloh - January 8

I agree with Jeanan...1-2 weeks at most. We only get 12 weeks (in the US you can ask for up to 6 months), but at my job we only get paid leave for the amount of leave time we have, after that it is unpaid leave. So since I will be using all my vacation and personal leave the less time before I pop the better.

Beth - January 8

Here in CA we can get a total of 4 months off, thats the maternity leave and the bonding leave. I took exactly one week off from work before I went into labor, so I got to spend 3 months and three weeks with my little one, but then we decided I was not going back to work, so now i get to see her all day long!!

Meredith - January 8

For those of us in America, this is the federal law according to the FMLA. (Family and Medical Leave Act) You are guarenteed 12 weeks of unpaid leave that your company has to hold a position with your same t_tle and pay. Now, there may be individual state laws, which I would actuallly love to hear. There also may be companies polices which take better care of new mothers than the law. My company, for example would not pay me for the week early I took off. They began payments the day she was born, and they continue on for six weeks only. Only the first two weeks are full pay. Other countries have much better legislation concerning new mothers. Mexico gives 12 weeks paid leave. I have researched this topic for a cla__s to write a research paper.

Meredith - January 8

Oh - sorry for being dumb, but where is Manitoba?

erinsoul - January 8

You guys are lucky. I work in child care and I don't get paid for anything. I get the unpaid 12 weeks off if I want it, but to get supplemental pay, I had to enroll in AFLAC before getting pregnant an that will only pay half my salary for up to 8 weeks. It's definately better than nothing but compared to almost every other country out there...it's sad. So needless to say I'm working until I give birth and only staying out 8 weeks.

Melissa - January 8

Manitoba is in Canada. Here in New-Brunswick, Canada, we get 50 weeks on UI, which means you get 55% of your salary...so it`s up to you if you can afford that whole time or not. I WILL take that year off, but we had started saving money as soon as I got pregnant. I am due feb 8th and am off starting this Monday...the doctor stopped me because of anxiety and insomnia...realy not sleeping well... and that is another type of leave (sick leave, up to 15 weeks before the baby is born). I will be finishing my baby room, on my couch, doing sc___peboking and some food like spegatti sauce. I will try to exercise too. TAKE CARE

Angela in California - January 8

i will have 12 weeks of leave, but i'm not taking it until I go into labor. I'm going to work up until the end, I just figure that way I'll have more time with the baby. I have a desk job, so it's pretty easy for me to work. I'm 36 weeks now.

Lisastar9 - January 8

Manitoba is above the state. North Dakota . Everywhere is Canada a person gets 50 weeks mat leave.

Maggie - January 9

Hey Cheryl-don't feel bad about taking leave a month before your due date. I'm due Feb. 16, and I stopped working Jan. 5th. I need the time to relax. I am on my second child now, but with my first I worked up until the day I gave birth. I was so exhausted when my son arrived I felt like I was hit by a MAC truck. This time I am taking the time I need to prepare myself. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. Take the time you need if that is what you feel is best for you and your baby. Good luck.

Karen - January 9

I am moving to Canada! I get 3 weeks before and 6 or 8 weeks after. From there I plan on 5 months off (unpaid), but I am not 100% on that yet. I know I will be off at least 3. My job will hold my actual position for 6 months and guarantee me a job for 1 year.

mel - January 9

I get 6 weeks with a v____al delivery and 9 with a c-section. I sit at a desk all day, so I'll probably work right up till d-day. if I go home early, I'm afraid it will just make time drag even more.

Marlene - January 9

I'm due March 25th and have decided to leave around Feb24th. I'm getting very uncomfortable and i travel to work and I dont want to deal with that when I'm past 35wks. I am allowed 4wks before and 6wks after.

Shea - January 9

I am not planning on taking any time before baby, actually I am due in 2 days and still at work. I also will only take 4 weeks off after baby. The FMLA does not apply to companies with less than 50 employees, which alot of us work for, so they don't have to hold your job. This is because it would be too much of a burden for a small company to go without a key employee for 6 months, and I agree. I think if I was taking off a year it would be very weird to come back and try to pick up where I left off at work...it's hard even after vacation. What type of job do you do for those of you taking long leaves?

dwc - January 9

I think I am just going to decrease my work week at 37 weeks in from 5 days a week to only 3.. I think if I took off completly I would go crazy with cabin fever and do nothing all day long but sit there and wonder when will i go into labor??? I will take as many weeks off as I can, which I believe I will only be allowed about 10-11 weeks, could be wrong though... Wish we could take 52 weeks in the US and still have a job when we returned, I am sooo jealous!!!!

Girl Gilly - January 9

You know until I started reading posts on this site I never realized how much difference there is between Canada and the U.S. I live in British Columbia (Canada) and will be taking a year off for mat leave. It's so hard to believe that in the States you only get up to 12 weeks. Unbelievable. I can't imagine how hard that must be and expensive, especially if you need to pay for Child Care. Don't get me wrong - I am not making derogatory comments about the U.S.. It just amazes me at how different the two countries are when it comes to stuff like this. I am due March 29 and would LOVE to leave work now but that is mostly because I do not enjoy my job and it is not very busy which makes the days seem very looooong.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion