Short Cervix Pg1239298273

4 Replies
Bridget09 - April 9

I am 33 weeks pregnant and had a routine growth ultrasound last week during which they told me my cervix was measuring 1.4 cm and the normal measurment is 3 cm or more the doctore sent me to labor and delivery to be checked and sure enough I was dilated 1 cm. and 60-70% effaced they gave me two steroid shots called betamethasone 24 hrs apart to help the babys lungs develop and put me on strict bed rest.I had a appointment with my obgyn a week later and he does not seem to be that concerned he told me not to over do it but it has not been proven that bed rest will help a women go to full term.I am only 21 years old and this is my first pregnancy I am so worried that I will go into labor at any second and my baby only weighs 4lbs does anyone have any advice or experiance with this sort of thing

Red95 - April 9

Hi Bridget09, I thought I would share my story. When I was pregnant with my son, when I was about 15 weeks pregnant something didn't seem right. I mentioned it to my doctor a couple of times, but we never really did anything about it. When I was 24 weeks, I mentioned it again because this time i was getting worried. They sent me for an u/s and found out that my cervix was between 1.45-1.8 cm. i was placed on sticked bed rest for 12 weeks. When I got off at 36 weeks, I thought the baby was going to come right out. WRONG. I got induced 1 day before my due date. It I wasn't, he would have stayed longer. I wasn't having regular contractions, even at 40 weeks. Plus, I ended up with an emergency c-section. Bed rest helped, but it was really long.

Bridget09 - April 9

Hi red95, thank you for your input its nice to know im not the only one with this problem.I feel exactly the same way that the baby is going to just come right out I feel so much pressure really low and they say my babys head is already down I am also having braxton hicks at night did you feel any of this?

Shea831 - April 15

I wish I could give you some advice, but I've never been in you position. The only thing I can tell you is put your trust in your doctor. You and your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good Luck

newfiegirl709 - May 12

I am in the exact same situation right now. At 30 weeks, I went to the Dr and complained of a lot of pressure in my pelvis (which I had been expericing for a couple of months by that point, but it was getting worse). Upon examination, she discovered my cervix was short and soft, so she sent me for a cervical ultrasound. My cervix measured 0.9 cm and I was immediately admitted to hospital on bed rest and given the steroid shot (and another 24 hrs later). A week later, they did another u/s and said there was no change. I was sent home, and am still on bed rest (I am now 33 weeks). The pressure is getting worse and has now spread to my v____a. At this point, there's not much more anyone can do. The good news is that after 32 weeks, the baby's chance of survival is the same as full term, but he/she may need some a__sistance with breathing if born early. Obviously, every additional day helps the baby grow bigger and stronger in preparation for the outside world. A very good friend of mine is a physician, and he a__sured me that this is more common than you would expect, and everything your Dr and mine have advised is correct. There is no proof that bed rest can prevent premature delivery, but there's obviously no harm. All one can do is take it easy, relax and try to enjoy every bit of sleep possible before the big day.:) I hope everything works out for you!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?