What Does It Mean -pg115223222818

8 Replies
HeatherF89 - July 6

Hi, this is my first post. I went to the drs today and he did a pelvic exam. He said I am 80% effaced and 1cm dilated and then he told me he could feel the top of the baby's head. Im 37 weeks pregnant, does being effaced 80% or dilated mean labor will start soon? He also said he could feel me uterus contracting while doing the exam. I just want the baby out, its taking forever. Will it be happening anytime soon for me???

ashley - July 6

nope sorry. I am 50% effaced 1cm dilated. It means your body is preparing for labor. I like you was dilated and effaced almost exactly as you were for 2-3 weeks before my water broke. When he says he can feel the babys head, means the baby has dropped and the head is engaged in the pelvis. ALL good signs that your body is doing what is suppose to be doing. I am 37 weeks now too and I have an appointment tomorrow to see if I have progressed. Oh by the way, it doesn't mean you wont go into labor soon either, just no way to know.

ashley - July 6

sorry when I said I like you was exactly as you were meaning my first pregnancy.. Just wanted to clarify. I am not trying to sound short, just didn't want you to get your hopes up about labor being iminent because im sure lots of girls on here will back me on this, you could walk around like that for several weeks before labor starts :-( it sucks I know. I am so ready too!

Mingill - July 6

Heather, effacement is the softening and thinning of your cervix, and dialation is how open your cervix is. Ideally, you will begin pushing when you're 100% effaced and 10 cm dialated. Now the first stage of labour 1-3 cm dialation can take awhile (hours or days), and you can be at 1 cm for weeks. Active labour starts roughly around 3-5 cm dialation, and then transition 6-10 cm. Not sure how long it will take you, but you still have 1 week to go before baby is considered full term. Hang in there, baby is definately on their way.

Tanya2 - July 6

Mingill, just to clarify, I read in 'what to expect' and I remember with prenatal courses last year, full term is at 37 weeks? Has that been changed this year?

ashley - July 6

no it hasn't changed. 37-42 weeks is considered term. I just learned that in nursing school in my ob cla__s.

Mingill - July 6

Hmm, everything I've been told and read says 38 weeks is full term. I guess anywhere past 37 is fine, perhaps 38 to be on the safe side. Either way, Heather, your baby will come, just when your body and your baby are ready.

livdea - July 6

well...you could go any minute or any week. I was 50% effaced and one centimeter at my 35 week appointment...I'm now at my 39th week appointment...NO CHANGE!!! Dr thought I'd go early, nope! she's hanging out in there!!! Nonetheless, everyone is different! You could go tomorrow or in your 42 week! lets hope not! Good luck!

HeatherF89 - July 6

Thanks everyone for answering! Since my dr said its ok to go at 37 weeks that has been my counting, so according to my own countown Im already due. 40 weeks just seems too long to countdown for. My family is throwing me a baby shower saturday so I at least need to make it till then!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion