What Is Effaced -pg114170029718

2 Replies
Amy - March 6

OK, I know what dilation is. I have heard and read about people mentioning being effaced. What is that? Do you have to be dilated to be effaced? How do y ou know if you are effaced? Just curious. All I know right now about me is i am 33 weeks and due april 29th. I lost my mucous plug already and my cervix is soft. If you are effaced does that mean cervix soft?

Shawna - March 7

Here is a webpage that explains it pretty well: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/effacement.html (take out any dashes that appear)

val - March 7

Effaced means the cervix is thinned out. To have a baby, not only does your cervix have to dilate, but it has to efface, or thin out. While you are pregnant your cervix is thick and closed, then it starts to thin out and dilate for you to have the baby. You might want to read a book on what goes on during labor, effacement would be explained, as well as what all goes on with your body during labor. I took a cla__s at the hospital that showed diagrams of what effacement/dilation looks like, as well as read books that had pictures and explained things very well.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion