Separated Stomach Muscles In Pregnancy---Part Two
Checking for Separated Muscles
It is very easy to determine whether you have separated abdominal muscles.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Slowly raise your head and shoulders off the ground. This should cause your abdominal muscles to tighten.
- Place your index and middle fingers just below your belly button.
- Press into your abdomen with your fingers. You should feel a soft gap between two hard muscles.
- Measure the space of the gap using your fingers. If the gap is greater than two finger widths, you may be suffering from separated muscles.
Treating Separated Muscles
There are some easy ways to help treat separated muscles after you have given birth. Simpleabdominal exercisescan help to bring the left and right sides of your rectus abdominus back together. These abdominal exercises are designed to help target weak muscles and won't cause extra stress to your stomach or back. Work to perform three sets of ten repetitions each.
Before you begin any type of exercise, though, be sure to consult with your health care provider. These stomach exercises are suitable if you have undergone a cesarean section, as long as your stitches have been removed and your scars have healed.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Work to bring your navel as close as possible to your spine, so it looks as if your stomach is "caving in". Hold this for a minute or two, while continuing to relax and breathe.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place both of your hands on your abdomen, fingers pointing towards your pelvis. Exhale and lift your head off of the floor, while pressing down with your fingers.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Exhale and extend one leg out in front of you. Wait for your abdomen to contract, and then inhale and place your leg back on the floor. Alternate legs.
- Wrap a long towel around your stomach with the ends in front of your abdomen. Do a crunch. As you raise your shoulders and head off of the ground, pull the ends of the towel towards one another.