Baby Heart Beat-pg113277776118

3 Replies
new mom - November 23

When do you first hear it and how?

Kim - November 23

Hi New mom! Congratulations first of all, that is so exciting. :-) I know you can SEE the heartbeat via transv____al ultrasound from as early as about 6 weeks on...I just saw my little one's at 7 weeks, pumping away, 136 bpm. I think you can first hear it between 9-12 weeks by doppler as well. I can't wait for that! Good luck to you, hope all continues to go well.

Ashley - November 23

I hear other ladies say that they have had u/s 5,6,7 weeks along. I am 6wks and was hoping to see how everything was progressing. But my dr. will only do one when I'm 12 wks and no more unless medically necessary. Is this strange?

Kim - November 30

Hi Ashley, No that's not strange. That's how lots of hospitals set their policy. It is very difficult to see things developing anyway when you are only 5 or 6 weeks along, so you're not missing too much! It can cause a lot of unnecessary worry too, if the doctor at 6 weeks says they can't find a heartbeat (which is fairly common). And then poor mom panics only to have a follow up in a week or two and see everything growing. 12 weeks is perfect, you will see so much!!!! You could ask for them to listen by doppler too when you're that far along. Good luck to you!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion